Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Cabling with or without a cable needle

I've been switching back and forth between the two ways of doing this, and I think I've decided that my cables with a cable needle are much more neat. Maybe I just need more practice with cabling without a needle. I'm using Grumperina's approach of grabbing onto the the stitches as they hand in midair which helps with my overall blood pressure, but the tension just seems a bit wonky without the trusty cable needle. Sorry about the horrible picture, it's a dark, dreary day today. I'm making an executive knitting decision today as well. I have 2 more scarves and another set of spa washcloths on my list of things to knit before Christmas as gifts, but I'm clearing them off the "to do" list as of today. A friend of mine who I used to work with has been emailing her friends and family to pray for her neice, who was in a devastating car accident about a week ago. Things are not good. I've decided to knit a prayer shawl and give it to my friend. I'm going to let her decide who needs it the most. I've got 5 skeins of Light n' Lofty in a beautiful purple and blue color that will work very well. It's machine washable, soft, and will be light yet warm. I just feel that this family needs to be knit for more than some of my friends, who would be just as happy with something else.

7 Comments:

Blogger amylovie said...

I haven't tried cabling without a cable needle, but I need to check it out. Your sleeve is gorgeous. Sheryl finished hers last week. The bobbles were her nemesis.

I think the prayer shawl is a wonderful idea. Whoever will receive it will take a lot of comfort in it.

Amy

11/29/2005 05:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I now always cable without a cable needle after reading about it on Wendy's blog except for finer gauge stuff, the stitches that became 'live' tends to escape. Maybe I should try out Grumperina's method. I'm sure your prayer shawl would be very much appreciated. Sending good vibres her way too.

11/29/2005 06:16:00 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

I'm sending good vibes to your friend's niece as well. The prayer shawl is a very thoughtful idea.

11/29/2005 07:17:00 PM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

Good for you! It is so hard to keep our priorities straight, especially at Christmas.

11/30/2005 04:40:00 AM  
Blogger chris said...

I have that same dilemma with cabling. I usually cable without a needle, but then I'm not happy with my stitch even-ness. Your sleeve looks incredible, though! Gorgeous.

I will keep your friend's niece in my thoughts. I think a prayer shawl would be a wonderful idea. I'm sure it will bring your friend's family much comfort.

11/30/2005 07:31:00 PM  
Blogger Iris said...

I'm keeping your friend's niece in my thougths. Hope things will work out OK in the end. I'm sure the prayer shawl will be much appreciated.

Your cabled sleeve looks great. I have yet to try cabling but seeing something like this I am always tempted...

12/01/2005 01:25:00 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

The prayer shawl for your friend's niece sounds like exactly what you should do. My thoughts are with her too, so sad, especially during the holiday season.

I can't cable w/o a needle. Well, I can, sort of, but it's more trouble than it's worth. So far.

12/01/2005 06:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->