Sunday, November 27, 2005

Have you ever been obsessed with a pattern?

So much so that you can't stop knitting it until it's complete? Well, I had that experience with the Esther Williams hat. I LOVE this pattern. It's easy, but has enough interesting parts that it kept my interest. It's a small project and so I was able to finish it quickly, and I think it will make a fabulous gift for my SIL who will be freezing up in Denver this winter. Now, I realize that I haven't been all that organized when reporting on my knitting. I'm more of a big picture, large concept kind of girl. I'm not what you might called, "detail oriented." What I've learned by reading different blogs is that a lot can be learned by these details. I've learned a ton from Laura, Kathy, Becky, Margene, Siow Chin, and countless others. So I'm working on the detail thing. In that spirit, here are the project specs. Pattern: Esther Williams Hat by Laura of Poor Miss Finch Materials: 1 skein of Plymouth Encore in a buttery yellow Needles: Size 10 16"circ and DPNs, Size F crochet hook Time to complete: About 10 hours over 4 days What I learned: Well, I'm the slowest crocheter on the planet. The crochet edge took me forever, but I'm glad I hung in there. The edging really makes the hat special. I really like working with Encore as a acrylic/wool blend, although it did get a bit splitty with the crochet portion. You can't beat it for gifts for people with wool sensitivities. I know my SIL won't be itching. I'm also getting much more comfortable using DPNS. I think I'm ready to get my solid socks on the needles now with the further DPN practice. I just read on Laura's blog that she completed an Esther Williams in about 5 hours. I can see how making these hats will go faster with practice. Near the end, I had committed the pattern repeats to memory and whipped along much faster. In other knitting news, I'm starting the sleeves of Blackberry. I'm going to do it without Bobbles, I think. The bobbles just beg to be pulled upon by my kidlets. I'm also going to cast on my solid socks this week. Now the real question is, do I start another scarf or my last spa washcloth set for Christmas gifts? Ugh... Also, a fun contest is being run over at Just.Sew.Crafty. She's collecting pictures of knitters, knitting "in the wild." The best pics will be put up after the first of the year for voting. Fibery prizes will be awarded for the best pics! Go check it out. Oh, and for you beading enthusiasts, I have a bead project burning a hole in my idea notebook. I'm keeping it super secret to see if it will work out. If it does, I may try my had at submission again. If not, I'll post about it here. It does involve using Fireline though!

10 Comments:

Blogger Carrie K said...

The hat came out beautifully! your SIL will love it. I get obsessed, but if I can't finish the project in X time (and it varies) it goes in the TBFASFUD pile. (To Be Finished At Some Future Unspecified Date).

A bead project! Awesome.

11/27/2005 04:02:00 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Wow, that was fast! Congrats on a beautiful hat!

11/27/2005 04:14:00 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

That is a cute little hat. Your SIL will be wearing it for years.

So you learned from me, huh? Did you learn how to be anal? That isn't necessarily a good thing. :-)

11/27/2005 04:22:00 PM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

Love the hat!

11/27/2005 05:51:00 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

I was obsessed with my Violette hats. I wish there more quick, cute projects out there.

Can't wait to hear about your new super-secret beading project. I ALWAYS get compliments whenever I wear the necklace you made (and I wear it often).

Amy

11/27/2005 06:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful work! Just wanted to let you know your Journal for the Journal Swap is going out Priority Mail this morning - :)

11/28/2005 06:36:00 AM  
Blogger Christie said...

That hat is really cute. I printed up the pattern and can't wait to try it...once I get my list out of the way!

11/28/2005 10:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a very beautiful hat! I'm sure your sil will love it. Thanks for mentioning me. For me, momentum counts a lot too. Once I get into the hank of a stitch pattern, sometimes, I just want to do it again and again before I loose steam.

11/29/2005 01:05:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I love that Esther Williams hat. Crochet and I are not friends, but I would be willing to give it a shot for that hat.

And re: your comment on my blog. I also love Cary Grant. My favorite of his movies is The Philadelphia Story, which if you have not seen it, you must RUN out and get THIS MINUTE. :)

11/29/2005 01:30:00 PM  
Blogger SAM said...

By reading comments I gather you are a Cary Grant fan? He's my absolute fav...you've got to rent The Bishop's Wife with him and David Niven. It beats the remake to pieces.

I agree about the bobbles on the blackberry.

Love the hat and really am thinking I need to try it.

I'm not very detailed oriented either, but no one has seemed too interested in my details. Hmmm...I wonder what that means ;)

11/29/2005 02:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->