Friday, August 19, 2005

A short yet forceful rant...

I just got home from what might possibly be one of the worst visits to the grocery store I've had in a while. It began with the shopping cart. I had both my kidlets with me, so I was looking for one that had a belt that worked as my daughter is intent on escaping any and all carts. I went through 5 carts and all didn't work. So I finally just grab one, pop daughter in and head in the door. I quickly realize that the cart not only doesn't have a belt that works, but lists to the right. So here I am trying to hold my daughter down, shop and guide a left listing cart with one hand around the store with my son in tow. It's difficult, but I'm making it. Then around the onion bin, I son says, "Mommy, I need to pee-pee." Lovely. I rush the cart and him all the way to the other end of the store where the bathroom is. I leave my cart, get my daughter out of the seat and head into the bathroom. I think I pulled a muscle holding my daughter in one arm and hefting my son up onto the potty with the other. Of course before this I'm one-handing the toilet paper covers to make it somewhat sanitary. He pees, I'm one-arming off the potty and trying to wrestle his clothes back up. We finish collect our cart and go all the way back across the store to where we left off. For the rest of the trip, I'm battling my daughter's desire to escape and trying to keep my son from putting every box that has any character that he recognizes into the cart. By the time I reach the check-out, my hair I'm sure was flying in a million directions and I had the wild-eye look of a mad woman. I know this because two other shoppers who pulled into the line behind me moved to other lines. They moved not because I was taking too long; they moved because I looked demented. Of this I'm sure. I'm going to go eat some Tapioca now and try to relax.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm. Tapioca. Comfort food, for sure. Been there, done that. Now I (sort of) miss shopping without little kids. Enjoy, because it will go by fast. :)

8/19/2005 01:25:00 PM  
Blogger rincaro said...

You have to use the demented look to your advantage. So that people in front of you will get out of line so you can leave faster! :p

8/19/2005 02:31:00 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

It can't be that bad if the checkout person was still willing to talk to you.

8/19/2005 02:50:00 PM  
Blogger soapy said...

Hate when I have days just like this!! So sorry you had a bad day! Enjoy your tapioca hope you feel better! Feel better and feel some yarn baby!! LOL

8/19/2005 03:03:00 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

You should complain about the shopping carts to the grocery store manager. I had the same experience here, and when I mentioned to the manager that they could have a future lawsuit on their hands when a child falls out of a cart without safety belts....low and behold, all of the carts were fixed by the next week.

8/19/2005 05:17:00 PM  
Blogger Sharlene said...

Oh, I feel your pain! :) I avoid going to any grocery store that has "character" food now if the boys are with me. Advertising agencies know what they are doing. Unfortunately. The cart thing is one of my pet peeves. Not only do they not have straps, but our local Trader Joe's doesn't have any place to put carts, except to bring them back to the store. If I'm parked across the parking lot no way am I going to leave the kids in the car to return the cart!

8/19/2005 05:56:00 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Lincoln said...

I'm so sorry you had a rough shopping trip! You're such a good mom. :-) I hope you had a chance to relax.

Take Care!

8/19/2005 07:23:00 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh man - been there done that! What doesn't kill you makes you stronger I guess....:)

8/19/2005 09:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hooboy sorry to hear of your trip to hell...erm I mean the grocery store...glad to hear there was no permanent damage (to your kids at least ;o)) And, to hell with tapioca, go straight for the chocolate...I can set you up...I got connections and about fifteen pounds of the stuff languishing in my fridge ;o)

8/19/2005 09:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I have SO been there! Sorry. They always wait until the most inconvenient times to go to the bathroom.

I hate it when I'm in a restaurant with just me and the kids, and as soon as the food arrives, they have to go. Happens frequently. Even if we hit the bathroom first. I'm always afraid they'll clear my food before we get a chance to eat it!

8/20/2005 01:36:00 PM  
Blogger littlelixie said...

Wow, what a day. But after that nothing can defeat you in the future right? Maybe now is a good time to try steeking if you haven't before!

8/21/2005 12:08:00 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Been there ... what a great account, now that it's behind you. I would have hit the chocolate myself.

8/21/2005 02:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->