Friday, December 09, 2005

Do I like it? Or do I like it, like it?

Well Blackberry's done. I'm not in love with her. I'm more in like with her. Blackberry was finished up while watching an episode of the Wire on DVD (love that show). While all in all she was an enjoyable knit, I'm not sure about the fit. I made the smallest size, and perhaps should have made the next size up. It's not that Blackberry doesn't fit, it's more that the body of it fits nice and snug, but the cables on the arms make my arms look kind of big and bulky. I knit the arms longer than the 17 inches called for, and I'm glad I did, as I like sleeves to be more at where my fingers begin. I also put a button instead of leaving the ribbing blank for a pin. Love the button, it's shell. I think my hesistation all comes from my huge looking arms. I'm beginning to realize with this knit, that I think I look better in sweaters knit with aran or less weight yarn. Although I'm not a big person, bulky knits kinds of make me look/feel... well bulky. I think if the sweater is meant to be/look bulky (Banff for example) then the bulky yarn/design would probably be fine. Blackberry, however is supposed to be more fitted. So to sum up, cute design, fun knit, not so great fit. Project specs: Design: Blackberry from Fall Knitty, by Jennifer Thurston Yarn: Lamb's Pride Bulky in Khaki, 4.5 skeins for the smallest size Needles: Size 15 straights and circ Mods: Added a button, made the sleeves 19 inches instead of 17 Summary of What I've learned: Just say no to the Bulky knits, unless they're meant to be bulky. Pardon the pictures. It's been dark when Mr. Craftylilly gets home so I just decided to take the pic myself. If you want to get a picture of the cable on the sleeve, here you go!

23 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

I like it, like it!! And I don't think your arms look big and bulky at all. In fact, I can't believe how tiny you look in a bulky-knit sweater! It really looks great on you and I love the button, too. Great job on Blackberry!

12/09/2005 03:01:00 PM  
Blogger yahaira said...

I don't think it makes you look bulky at all! I think it looks great. Maybe it's just the sleeves that make you feel uncomfortable, but don't worry about it. You're tiny!!

12/09/2005 06:27:00 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

It looks great! I think you're being too hard on yourself, it doesn't look "bulky" at all!

12/09/2005 06:35:00 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

I think you will have to go a long, long way to make your teensy (but fabulously well shaped) arms look big and bulky! The sweater came out beautifully and it looks smashing on you.

12/09/2005 06:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it looks great - good job! :o)

12/09/2005 07:27:00 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Wow. Great job! It looks really good on you.

12/09/2005 07:56:00 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

I think Blackberry looks *really* cute on you! Nice job!!

12/09/2005 11:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like it, like it!

12/10/2005 12:42:00 AM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

I think it makes you look warm and cuddly, not bulky at all.

12/10/2005 03:58:00 AM  
Blogger luvs2knit said...

You did a good job. Pat yourself on the back!!! Hooray.

12/10/2005 05:12:00 AM  
Blogger Saun said...

It looks great to me and you're arms don't look huge at all. I do understand what you are saying about the bulky yarn though. In general bulky yarn does have the polished sleek look of dk or worsted weight yarn. But I don't think your Blackberry looks as bulky as you think it does.

12/10/2005 07:33:00 AM  
Blogger amylovie said...

From what I can see, it looks really nice on you. Great job!

12/10/2005 02:02:00 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

Come on, it's fine the way it is. It is very wearable and I don't see any serious flaws in it.

12/10/2005 04:28:00 PM  
Blogger Jillio said...

hmm...i concur with you. i'm impressed with your mad skills on altering the design, but i'm feeling kinda "meh" about the fit myself.
and i TOTALLY feel you on the whole arms thing. i knit a one skein wonder, and for some reason, the arms just didn't look right on me. blame the broad shoulder? idk. but some knits just make you look "bulky."
haha, looking at your comments, i'm going against the general consensus that says "it looks great on you!" to each her own.

12/11/2005 01:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super cute and it looks so comfy! Nice. You don't look bulky at all !

12/11/2005 08:20:00 PM  
Blogger Iris said...

I like it, and I don't think it looks too bulky on you, but I can see what you mean - the cable on the sleeve makes the fabric look thicker on the outside. That said, I really don't think it matters - it looks great on you!!

12/12/2005 05:19:00 AM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

Like the others said, I don't think you look bulky in it. (But who am I to argue about how a person feels in a sweater.)

I wonder if bulky yarn looks better in oversized sweaters.

12/12/2005 07:35:00 AM  
Blogger KniTaPaLooZa said...

Wow... what a nice and warm shrug. You did a great job on it. Very cool

12/12/2005 11:47:00 AM  
Blogger amber said...

It looks great but I know what you mean about the bulky sweaters making you feel bulky. I like a bulky loose fitting cardigan, but prefer a finer guage yarn for fitted sweaters :)

But it does look great :)

12/12/2005 06:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a bit bulky at all! You look great in it!

12/12/2005 09:59:00 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Well, I for one think it looks fabulous!! (If you don't want to keep it, you can send it to me, hee hee!) :) You look great! So very stylish, you.

12/13/2005 08:24:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

how beautiful is that?

12/18/2005 05:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOH! ME likey!!!GREAT job!

12/18/2005 07:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->