Tuesday, December 06, 2005

DPN or toothpick, you make the call

So, I'm trucking along on my gray slipped stitch socks (loving them by the way), when it occurs to me that my size 1 bamboo DPNs look quite a lot like long toothpicks. Another thought then hits me; I've been working on this one sock for an awful long time. I guess tiny yarn plus toothpick needles equals slow progress. I'm aiming to be up to heel by this weekend though. I have to have these suckers done and photographed for the Solid Socks KAL by the end of the month. I also joined another KAL... ahem... The good thing is this one won't start until after the New Year. I joined the Angelica KAL. We are knitting Glampyre's Angelica pattern from Hipknits. Everyone is searching for subs right now. I think I have a solution, but I'm not sure yet. As for my other KALs, I'm thinking that Kepler just isn't going to happen. I like the sweater, but after seeing other people's FOs I'm thinking I'd want the sleeves longer and the construction changed to a raglan. Right now that seems like a lot of mods to figure out. Plus, the new Knitty has the Forecast pattern that uses the same yarn I got for Kepler. Hmmm... Choices, choices. The Sexy Knitter's Club is still voting on a pattern, but I'll be up for whatever is decided. All the choices are good, and again this would be an after Christmas knit. Right now, the top priorities are: finish Blackberry in time for Christmas, finish the gray slip stitch socks, get the prayer shawl close to completion. I'll leave you with a picture taken by Mr. Craftylilly... of a Raider's Christmas ornament. He's unbelievable. :)

8 Comments:

Blogger Jillio said...

haha...yeah, size 1's aren't exactly going to make socks fly off the needles. makes me wish i had more than one pair of size 3 circulars because then i think maybe i'd be done with a couple of pairs by now instead of halfway done with one sock...
hee hee...raiders christmas ornament. men are so funny ;)
and in answer to your question, starfish does like working with the kiddies. he wanted to be a teacher at one time, but he said the little kiddies at the after school "A+" program scared him off with their stinky, cheeto fingers. hehe...i think maybe high schoolers are more his speed than elementary school students.

12/06/2005 05:24:00 PM  
Blogger chris said...

I sure hear you about the size 1 toothpicks! They seem to take forever, but I love the beautiful, tight fabric they produce. The color you're using is so pretty! They're going to be beautiful socks. :-) Your DH's Christmas ornament cracked me up. I guess it's his own personal version of those Hallmark Keepsake ornaments. ;-)

12/06/2005 06:32:00 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

Oh, the pressure. I just beginning my solid socks and I'm also using very thin needles. Takes forever, but the results is very thin socks that are comfortable to wear.

12/06/2005 07:15:00 PM  
Blogger weaselrina said...

Those size 1s are slow going but the sock is beautiful. Worth the effort!

But if i have to vote on the title question..
I'd say toothpick :)

12/06/2005 09:31:00 PM  
Blogger Iris said...

*snort*

Yes, size 1's are exactly like toothpicks, aren't they! Or maybe more like those kebab sticks for bbqing meat and veg. ;-) I'm longing to knit socks with dk yarn so I can use 4mm needles... Can you imagine how quick sock-knitting would become?

I love how your socks look, though. They will be fantastic when they are finished!

12/06/2005 11:45:00 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

The size 1's killed me on my husband's socks. It took FOREVER! At least your pattern is more interesting than the boring men's dress sock I knit.

Amy

12/07/2005 03:15:00 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

They are a little like long toothpicks. I love that sock pattern! It looks great.

Raider ornaments? Heh. At least he didn't do the whole tree. A theme tree!

12/07/2005 03:30:00 PM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

As many years as I have been knitting (at least 40), I have never tried socks. If I keep reading all these blogs about socks, I may be inspired to try some.

12/08/2005 06:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->