Thursday, March 24, 2005

Existentialism and knitting

I'm reading a book right now called Useless Beauty: Ecclesiastes Through the Lens of Modern Film by Robert K. Johnston. The books takes the Hebrew Testament book Ecclesiastes and uses it to interpret and inform several modern films such as Magnolia, Run Lola Run, American Beauty, among others. One of the main themes of Ecclesiastes and the films in question is that life is unpredictable, and "useless" in the sense that we all are destined to die and what we do in this life isn't lasting, however, within this life what we are really meant to do is be with each other, helping each other, and enjoying life as we can. It occured to me that perhaps that's one of the reasons I enjoy knitting so much. I really feel "in the moment" when I knit. I like knitting with other people and enjoy just the feel of the yarn, and the meditative quality of making the stitches.

2 Comments:

Blogger amylovie said...

Having never been a "crafty" person before, I can't really explain why I love knitting. I think it may be on the same lines as your thoughts.

Happy Easter,
Amy

3/25/2005 04:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you! It's amazing how I can come home after a stressed, rushed day, pick up the needles and immediately experience a moment of zen.

3/26/2005 08:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->