Sunday, September 04, 2005

Geek Chic

I got a new pair of glasses a couple days ago. Now, glasses for me are like an extension of myself. I've had to wear glasses since I was 1 year old, and bifocals the entire time. I've had two eye surgeries, and basically had lots of eye problems my entire life. Glasses are important because they are a lot of who I am. I spend quite a lot on them. My favorite brand is Okio which is a Japanese company that handmakes each frame. My previous pair were Okios and so are these new ones. I like this pair, but I need to go back to the optometrist to adjust the ear piece. It's a bit too tight and giving me a headache. In other news, I've put together the prize I'm donating to Give a Little effort. I am donating a set of my handmade red wire hearts stitch markers, and a 17" necklace made of Rhodonite oval beads, multi-color agate, glass seed beads, and a silver toggle clasp. Give a little has already raised 45K towards Katrina Relief which is amazing and awe-inspiring! I also need some advice. This weekend I'm flying down to So.Cal for my sis-in-laws wedding (which I'm in). I need a good portable small knitting project to bring. I've never done a sock, but am thinking about it. Any suggestions for a simple pattern? Any other suggestions for a good traveling project?

5 Comments:

Blogger amylovie said...

A sock would be perfect. Knitty Gritty on DIY Network did a sock show, and has a great beginner sock with lots of very detailed instructions. It was the first pair that I made. Check it out at http://www.diynet.com/diy/shows_dkng/episode/0,2046,DIY_18180_36323,00.html

They are replaying the episode this Thursday.

I love both of your pairs of glasses. They look great on you.

Have a nice Labor Day,
Amy

9/04/2005 08:32:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Any basic stockinette sock pattern (Knitty Gritty and others - just google sock pattern) would be good. I used the pattern from "Knit Socks" for my first pair, and they turned out pretty good. Good luck! Can't wait to see how they turn out!

9/04/2005 08:46:00 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

Good to know that there is someone out there who started wearing glasses younger than I did. :-)

If you don't want to do socks you could knit a hat.

9/05/2005 09:39:00 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

I also vote for socks. Try out the pattern from spun, they are ankle socks so they are almost instant gratification and you get to to the "hard" stuff a lot quicker so you can get used to it

ps love your new glasses

9/06/2005 06:01:00 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Socks are nice except that they use all those little needles and if you drop one on the plane.....whoops. I usually take something semi mindless like a scarf, or sleeves, so I can use a circular needle


Your new glasses look great! Have fun at your SIL's wedding.

9/06/2005 03:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->