Friday, March 17, 2006

Irish Eyes

When I was about 8 or 9 my grandmother taught me how to crochet. We didn't get beyond single or double crochet, but she did teach me how to make a chain and a little purse. When I was in high school, she told me to go through her yarn stash, and pick out several colors because she wanted to crochet me a blanket. I picked the craziest colors ever, mostly because I thought each one was pretty. I didn't think of the overall picture. However, my grandmother didn't say a word, and crocheted me a beautiful blanket that I still have. In many ways she introduced me to fiber before my mother did years later. She was also the person who introduced me to stamp collecting. The stamps didn't stick with me, but collecting sure did. She also once stood in a line for several hours just to get me a Cabbage Patch doll when they were all the rage and every store was selling out of them. She always had Fudgesicles in her freezer. Her garden had the most delicious fig tree and strawberries that I ate right off the vine. My dog Rosie loved her, and the two of us had a good time with her and my stepgrandfather when we stayed with her. I remember her at my wedding wearing a pink dress and being very happy. Even though she and I had a very difficult relationship in my adulthood, I still loved her very much and secretly thought that maybe we could somehow resolve some of the issues before her passing. That unfortunately was not to be. My grandmother passed away this St. Patrick's day. I'm Catholic, and half Irish of which she had lots to do with. I like to think that St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland helped to welcome her home. I like to think that she knows that no matter how difficult our relationship has been that I love her and see a bit of her in my own daughter. I meant to do a fun post for St. Patrick's day, but perhaps this Irish blessing is more fitting today. May St. Patrick guard you wherever you go, and guide you in whatever you do-- and may his loving protection be a blessing to you always.

24 Comments:

Blogger amylovie said...

Thank you for sharing your story. She knows that you are thinking of her today.

Amy

3/18/2006 09:16:00 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

Thanks for sharing, and blessing me today!

3/18/2006 09:18:00 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

That blanket is so sweet. I'm sure your Grandmother loved making it for you.

3/18/2006 09:27:00 AM  
Blogger HoJo said...

What a wonderful memory of your grandmother. Both of mine knitted and I have cherished the things they made for me and even after 4 years miss them both terribly. Thank you for sharing.

3/18/2006 09:52:00 AM  
Blogger chris said...

Jennifer, I'm so sorry for your loss. Your grandmother knows how much you loved her and I know that she's smiling down at you now. That blanket she crocheted is just beautiful- thank you so much for sharing that sweet story. May the wonderful memories you have of her bring you comfort during this difficult time. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs to you and take care.

3/18/2006 10:07:00 AM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Jennifer, I am sorry about your loss. I hope that your happy memories of her will help you through this difficult time. Take care.

3/18/2006 10:15:00 AM  
Blogger teabird said...

Ah, Jennifer - so sorry. I know what it's like to lose a beloved grandmother. I'm thinking about you and hoping you can be comforted by everyone's affection -

3/18/2006 12:04:00 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

I'm sure she knew. Sometimes it's hard to express emotions for some people, or to get past whatever is blocking them. I'm so sorry for your loss.

OTOH, I love that blanket. It's so bright and cheery! You know every stitch was done with you in mind.

3/18/2006 12:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen, I'm so sorry. *hugs*

3/18/2006 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger The Scarlet Tree said...

Grandmothers always know that we love them - and love us no matter what. That's what grannys are for!
Best wishes Craftlilly.

3/18/2006 02:40:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I am sure she knew she loved her. Thank you for sharing your story.

3/18/2006 03:08:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

My thoughts are with you right now. *hug* At least that wonderful afghan will always remind you of the very best times between the two of you.

3/18/2006 03:28:00 PM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

The loss of a loved one is so hard. Sweet memories make it a little more bearable. Being a grandmother myself, I think I can assure you that she loved you no matter what and she knew you loved her. Use that beautiful afghan as a permanent hug from her.

3/18/2006 04:13:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm so sorry, Jennifer. I agree with everyone else -- she knew how you felt about her. I'll be thinking of you and your grandmother. ::hugs::

3/18/2006 04:32:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm sorry for your loss Jennifer.

3/18/2006 08:46:00 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

oh jen, i'm so sorry for your loss. thank you so much for sharing your memories about her. i think the blanket is beautiful, and it was surely made with love. i'm sure you'll treasure it always.

3/18/2006 08:49:00 PM  
Blogger Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

This was a wonderful and touching post- thank you!
stay warm and full of color under that awesome blanket!

3/19/2006 07:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I believe your grandmother does know that you love her, despite any problems that may have separated you. The blanket is so lovely and cheerful.

3/19/2006 06:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry... it is so difficult when we loose our loved ones... my thoughts are with you.

3/19/2006 08:09:00 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Oh, Jennifer. I am so very sorry. Thank you for sharing the story with us.

3/20/2006 09:01:00 AM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. I'm sure she knows that you loved her very much. The blanket is beautiful--she did a great job working with such difficult colors.

3/20/2006 09:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing. I was out of town this weekend and just now saw your post. I know how difficult it is to lose a loved one, but I also strongly feel that they know how you feel. I know your grandmother knows how much you loved her. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

3/20/2006 04:08:00 PM  
Blogger soapy said...

I'm so sorry about your loss, I'm glad you have some great memories to think about and a blanket from her to wrap up in to think of her always! Enjoy every thought of yous! {{hugs}}
(I have lots memories too of my GM who taught me to crochet & knit) Cherishing them is comforting!

3/24/2006 04:30:00 AM  
Blogger Sharlene said...

I'm late and catching up on blog entries, but I wanted to add my condolences as well. I'm so glad you have some fond memories of her... so sorry for your loss.

3/26/2006 05:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->