Thursday, March 16, 2006

Mrs. Strangecraft: or how you know kid gates should probably come down

My house currently uses a very complicated gate system. SWB at almost 4 doesn't need the gates, but PQL at 19 months, is still in need of some fencing. We are getting hints of the end of our gate life, however. For the past couple of weeks, my children have been getting up early. SWB loves to get up and go into the next room to visit with his little sister. Usually this works well and buys me a little extra time in the morning. That is it used to until a couple of mornings ago, they broke down the gate that shuts PQL in her room. You see our house is two stories. I uses a gate in her room to discourage wandering, especially since the bedrooms are upstairs. Now, you'd think that I'd learn and bring the gate down and figure out another solution. I didn't though and still gated her in at night. This practice has resulted in scuffed walls, and gates being taken down by small children every morning this week. I think the kids are trying to tell me something. This realization came home to me this morning as heard the sound of running water upstairs and knew immediately that they had taken down the gate once again. I go upstairs to find this. Two kids brushing their teeth in a bathroom that the younger of the two should have been gated from. Good thing the bathroom is childproofed within an inch of it's usefulness. I also wanted to show you all the lovely postcard I received from Teresa from the Postcard swap! I love it! Thanks Teresa! I sent her a monster movie themed postcard. She posted it on her blog; scroll down her top post to see it. I'm glad she liked it. You never know what kind of reaction you're going to get when you send someone a postcard featuring Godzilla, you know?

12 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I can completely understand the gate thing. My son started his carrer as an escape artist at 8 months old when he escaped the playpen. Then it was the crib at 11 months. Soon we had to double gate his room and the kitchen and put very high locks on the bathroom door and house doors. He was soooo quiet and sneeky, I couldn't hear him on the monitor. And I wonder why I have gray hair.

3/16/2006 02:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your kids are so adorable! It's so cute that they like to play together. Although, I guess they also encourage each other into trouble sometimes too, huh? Well, they're cute anyway! :)

3/16/2006 02:55:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

You made a great card! And received one, too. Hmm, it does sound like either you need a gate escalation or gate removal. :)

3/16/2006 03:27:00 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Got to love when they figure out how to escape! It was hilarious when my almost 3 year old figured out how to get out of his crib and you just heard feet scampering down the hall ...

3/16/2006 06:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least they were brushing their teeth and not doing anything *too* destructive. My friend's son used to get out, climb up on the kitchen counter, stop up the sink and then run the water until he created his own version of Niagara Falls.

3/16/2006 08:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The photo of both of them in the bathroom brushing their teeth is so cute, aww....

3/17/2006 12:20:00 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

very cute picture! both of my kids love to excape the backyard! it's like their qwn pwrsonal challenge on a reality show ;)

3/17/2006 04:34:00 AM  
Blogger amylovie said...

I too have been through the gate challenge.

Your moster postcard is so cute. You are very crafty Craftylilly.

Amy

3/17/2006 04:59:00 AM  
Blogger Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

At least they were doing something good. can't complain about teeth brushing I suppose, hee hee.

too funny.

3/17/2006 07:28:00 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Brushing their teeth after crashing the prison walls? That's adorable.

I think it's time to figure out a new strategy. Darn those kids and their cunning little minds.

Niagra Falls in the kitchen? lololol

3/17/2006 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger chris said...

I wish someone would invent something more child proof thatn a childproof gate. ;-) Both of my little escape artists have gotten themselves into quite a few scrapes evading the gate. I know it probably wasn't very funny at the moment, but that's one awfully cute pic!! It's so cute that they're in cahoots with each other already! I saw the postcard you made for Teresa a while back and loved it!! You're so creative! And what an awesome postcard from Teresa, too!! I love the fabric and ladybugs- too cute. Take care and have a fantastic weekend, Jennifer! :-)

3/17/2006 12:12:00 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

Smart kids! They say, when a kid's smart enough to escape a gate, maybe he's smart enough to stay out of trouble. It's a good thing that big brother keeps an eye on her.

3/17/2006 12:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->