Sunday, March 05, 2006

Field Trip, Man madness, and a book meme

I got a whole mess of random for you today. I'll start with the knitblogger backyarn field trip that I learned about at Knitting Interrupted. I'm a bit late, but I think we're ok. I'm going to show you around my rather small backyard. Now, my backyard is a mess. When we moved into this house a year ago, we discovered that we had some trouble with a couple trees and drainage. Nothing we did could save the lawn in the backyard. Add that with RM's lack of will and time to work on the backyard, and we end up with a mess. It's a mess that the kids can still play in, but it's not attractive. So the views I have for you of the backyard are heavily edited. We have a long and thin backyard. The previous owners have a lot of shrubs and trees that ouline a lawn in the middle, but the whole thing is at a bit of a slant, thus all the rain water ends up keeping one section of our lawn rather wet. I do like our backyard though. We did a lot of landscaping on our last house, which has quite a sizeable front and backyard. It's nice to only worry about this small space. We'd like to relandscape, take some trees out, fix the drainage, and redo the lawn. Eventually we'll replace the wood deck we have too. I don't have pics of that as it is covered in kid toys. All this discussion of the yard brings me to some man madness, specifically RM's brand of crazy. RM is a handy guy. He is rather good at fixing things. If he had more time, he could probably finish many home improvement projects. Now having said that, every home improvement project that he embarks upon always bring up problems that he doesn't expect. These problems bring about much gnashing of teeth. He then works even harder at making the project work because, "He's going to win! He's going to beat the (insert home project here). This weekend he's had a project he's been working on. Nothing has gone as planned. Gnashing of teeth has ensued. Querying children, curious about why daddy is holding a drill and has a crazed look on his face are told that he, "is on a mission from God." (Blues Brothers fans will understand this reference.) Please reassure me that I'm not the only one living with this brand of crazy. Please. And now for the book meme. I've read this meme on several blogs now and thought I'd share too! Feel free to answer this meme if you'd like 1) Name 5 of your favorite books: The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, Byzantium by Stephen R. Lawhead, Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton, Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. I could go on. I love lots of books. 2) What was the last three book I bought. Hmmm... I honestly can't remember. I've Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress recently. 3) What's the last book I read? I finished the Knit the Classics February selection, Woman at the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy. Actually this may have been the last book I bought... 4) Name three books I've been dying to read. Well, I've got way more than 3 that I could list here. I really want to read Anna Karenina, Son of a Witch, and Outlander. Oscars are tonight! You know where I'll be while knitting.

11 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

You have a lovely backyard! I love seeing all the green foliage. My DH is no Tool Time Tim Allen, but unfortunately, he has a similar penchant for computer gadgets. He enjoys building and "fixing" computers (and I'm using that term in the most liberal way possible. ;-)). Different brand, but very similar kind of crazy. ;-) Take care, Jennifer! :-)

3/05/2006 02:31:00 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

Mr. Lovie is EXACTLY like RM.

Amy

3/05/2006 02:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer I love that first pic of the tall grasses next to the fence. Its a lovely backyard!

Thanks for participating in the fieldtrip!

3/05/2006 03:48:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Oh you don't want to see MY backyard. It's not even really my backyard, since I rent. :)

DH is similar...but with computers. There are microscopic screws and bolts ALL over my house, and I fear that I will never ever be able to corral it. And when he puts his mind to fixing something...watch out.

3/05/2006 04:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RR is just like RM - the only difference is since his day job pretty much consists of doing home improvement projects for other people he manages to get frustrated on a daily basis. Some nights he doesn't come home until 10 or later!

3/05/2006 04:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Jen for stopping by to vote for the Oscars - your comment was funnier than the nominees. Gosh, I miss greenier. Spring can't come soon enough.

3/05/2006 04:51:00 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I really want to read Anna Karenina too. I almost put it on my meme, but I couldn't remember how to spell it.

3/05/2006 07:12:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Your yard is so green! Ahhh....

I'm just jealous that you have someone around to do those sorts of handy projects - you're lucky!!

3/05/2006 07:55:00 PM  
Blogger emmy said...

Green! Your yard is green and very pretty. Who cares if it is edited. We used to live in a 200 plus year old house. Often even changing a lightbulb would involve 2-3 trips to Home Depot. Don't even get me started on the time we decided to take off some wallpaper!!
I got the "mission from God" thing. The Blues Brothers was on Friday night but I only caught the end of it.

3/05/2006 08:00:00 PM  
Blogger Sandee said...

Thank you Karma swap buddy! ;-)

3/05/2006 10:07:00 PM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

I think all men are like that. But to be fair, so are all women. It has to do with the repair job, not the repair-er. It is never as easy as the home repair show makes it look. There is always the Murphy's Law thing: anything that can go wrong, will.

3/06/2006 04:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->