Sunday, February 19, 2006

Stitches West 2006, the experience

Last year I went to Stitches West with my mom. We went only to shop. It was fabulous, and we decided that we had to go again. This year we eagerly made plans to go. In order to get a more full experience I signed up for a class and we had originally planned to stay the night. Well staying there didn't work out which is just as well since my son's cold turned into an ear infection, but I did end up making Stitches a two day event nevertheless. Mom and I shopped on Saturday in the Market, and then I went back this morning to take my class on Intarsia with Sally Melville. First I must tell you about the Stitches Market. I think the Market is even bigger than it was last year. There must have been about 9 long rows of booths that took up a lion share of a huge room at the convention center. Lots of Bay Area LYS's were there as well as smaller, independent yarn retailers, designers, and some larger stores like WEBS. I spent most of my time combing the booths for new yarns that I couldn't get or even see at my LYS. I spent some time at the Blue Moon Fiber Arts booth, and picked up some lovely STR in the Yosemite colorway. Their stuff is fantastic! The colorways are even more brilliant in person than online. I also spent some time at Tess Designer Yarns, and yes Yahaira, I did pick up a skein of their sock yarn. Lovely stuff. I also found a really interesting yarn company called Just our Yarn. I bought a skein of yarn called Caravan that is a mix of wool and camel down in a gorgeous red colorway. Their yarns are beautiful and worth looking at. I also really enjoyed spending time, and money at Philosopher's Wool. I bought a kit called Color Your Own in the Night Sky colorway. It's a beautiful Fair Isle sweater kit with really pretty buttons. I guess I'm going to have to learn how to cut my own knitting to make her. Scary! I also visited a local artisan, Lisa Souza. Her colorways are gorgeous. I got a skein of lovely purple sock yarn for a really reasonable price too. I also picked up a ball of Lana Grossa Mega Boot Stretch that I'm interested in playing around with. The class I took with Sally Melville was also a lot of fun. Marianne, a LYS owner that I know was in the same class, so it was fun to learn something new with someone I know. I also met some very nice knitter's in the class. Sally signed my copy of ther color book too which I'm over the moon about. She's a really good teacher. She's patient and helpful, and I came away from the experience with some good tips and tricks to make intarsia not so intimidating. She brought many of the sweaters that are featured in the color book as well. I have to say that the final sweaters are beautiful. The pictures in the book don't show just how stunning the designs are. She also taught us a cool trick to help design our own sweaters using intarsia. I also got to meet two Bay Area knitbloggers, Sharlene and Lu. I enjoyed meeting them. They are both very sweet. I wish I could have met more knitbloggers, but the weekend was crazy! All in all, I enjoyed myself and got to learn the ins and outs of a knitting technique new to me. I highly recommend making the trip to a Stitches event if you're able. Remember to leave a comment or email me at the address in the previous post to enter my blogiversary contest! There have been some great songs to knit by suggestions so far!

20 Comments:

Blogger Elspeth said...

What great yarn! I can't believe I didn't randomly run into you, but it definitely seemed larger this year!

2/19/2006 03:52:00 PM  
Blogger yahaira said...

Im so glad you got to go and enjoyed it! Isnt the tess yarn great? and I picked up a skein of the just our yarn stuff last year as well...it'll probably become some warm socks some time soon.

2/19/2006 05:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, now I so wish I had gone. My excuse was I couldn't get anyone to go with me, but wow, all the links in your post and all those great buttons. Great haul!

2/19/2006 06:01:00 PM  
Blogger chris said...

What an awesome haul from Stitches!! I was thinking about you this weekend and wondering how it went. So sorry to hear that your little guy has an ear infection, though. Your new yarn is SO beautiful! I've heard such great things about that Tess yarn and STR. And I'm looking forward to the steeking with your new kit! ;-) It's so great that you got to meet other bloggers! It must have been awesome to take a class with Sally Melville, too. So glad to hear you had such a fantastic time! Take care! :-)

2/19/2006 06:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds you had a great time! I'm hoping to make it to Stitches East this year :o)

2/19/2006 08:07:00 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

So what do you think of the yarn in the Philosopher's Wool kit? Soft or scratchy? I've been thinking about a kit of theirs but I haven't seen any in real life....

Hope you little guy is better - earaches are no fun.

2/19/2006 09:55:00 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Glad to hear that you had a great time! I couldn't go this year, but perhaps in 07. Hope your son is better!

2/19/2006 11:46:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

What fun! And that sock yarn is beautiful. :)

2/20/2006 04:33:00 AM  
Blogger amylovie said...

It sounds like you two had a blast. You brought home a lot of treasures too. Better get to knitting!

Amy

2/20/2006 05:04:00 AM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

Gorgeous stuff. I wish there was a Stitches Texas.

2/20/2006 05:17:00 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Thanks for all the great links! i am so overcome with jealousy.

2/20/2006 06:05:00 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Cool haul! I got close, got lost and then abandoned the idea all together. However, next year, I have a plan. Take a Thursday class and go to the Stitcher's Market Preview that night.

2/20/2006 01:51:00 PM  
Blogger Suzie said...

Glad you had fun at Stitches! I think the classes really make it worth it. Gorgeous stash enchancements!!!

2/21/2006 08:39:00 AM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

I wish I could go to one of those fiber festivals. You are so lucky!

Of course if I went, I would have a horrible time trying to decide what to get, convinicing myself that I can spend the money, and wondering what my husband say when I walk in with much too much yarn.

2/21/2006 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

i am soooo envuois! next year i am so there!

2/21/2006 01:14:00 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Wow, how exciting that must have been!!

2/21/2006 05:42:00 PM  
Blogger illanna said...

Your haul looks like some fuuuuun yarns :) Yep- you spied the Jamieson's kit and you were right- it's a Nicki Epstein Felted Bag Kit, for the Floral Felted Bag from IK Fall 04.

2/22/2006 06:27:00 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I am SO jealous.

2/22/2006 08:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous haul of yarn!

2/22/2006 09:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your great yarn! I went to Stitches West over the weekend too- it was my first time (but definitely not my last). I took a pattern drafting class taught by Melissa Leapman. Really fun. And the Market- OMG!!

2/22/2006 09:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->