Thursday, February 02, 2006

Dumplings and Bao

If you are into Chinese cooking, Martin Yan's Quick and Easy Cookbook is pretty good. We've liked almost everything I've made from it, especially this sweet and spicy Shrimp dish. Yummy! Well, in honor the Year of the Dog, I made a recipe called Monday Night Dumpling Soup. I made it on a Tuesday, but hey it tastes good any day of the week! Now being that this soup is from a book called *Quick and Easy* I used store bought frozen dumplings. The end result was quite delicious. Also, since most meals I make need to be *Quick and Easy* I also steamed up some frozen Cha Sui Bao (Sweet Pork Buns) to have with it. Now, those fans of Dim Sum know that Cha Sui Bao is some fantastic stuff. RM could eat these things all day. Both SWB (my picky eater) and Little Girl (who'll eat anything) scarfed these babies down. You must try one if you haven't. Speaking of Little Girl, seeing as she's a bit too young to pick her own blog alias, I have decided to name her myself. Can't have the whole family have cool aliases and hers be the plain one, now can I? I am dubbing her Princess of Quite a Lot (Englebreit reference), PQL for short. I think anyone who has a little daughter, or a little niece understands the reference. I got my sock pal match yesterday as well. I'm very excited! The door seems to be wide open design wise, but I do have a rather big constraint. My sock pal doesn't want any socks made with wool, even a little bit of wool. That really narrows the field of sock yarns I can use. Plotting has commenced. Oh, and I'm one sleeve away from coming home off of sleeve island. My brain is weary, but I look forward to the blocking and seaming so I can get the button bands and collar on Twist.

17 Comments:

Blogger amylovie said...

You made my stomach growl just reading about dim sum!

How about socks made from Cascade Fixation? They have two free patterns for Fixation socks on their website (http://www.cascadeyarns.com/patterns_Free.asp)

Amy

2/02/2006 08:17:00 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Mmmm...dumplings!!

How about Socks that Rock? They have a cotton yarn called Sock Candy.

2/02/2006 09:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have that cook book - apparently I need to page through it again and maybe try some new things!

I have socks at home that I'm working on that I'm making out of Schachenmayr Catania Cotton sock yarn. It's light & fluffy and has gorgeous colors :o)

2/02/2006 09:48:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I. Am. So. Hungry! I think Fixation is cotton and lycra or some other stretchy thing.

2/02/2006 10:48:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Duh. Should have read Amylovie's comment first!

2/02/2006 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger Whit said...

Now you're just making me hungry!!

Can't wait to talk to you today!!

2/02/2006 11:35:00 AM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

gimme that Bao!!!

(its the only form of pork that I eat)

2/02/2006 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Ohmigod - I want to jump through the screen to attack that food. I looks so good!!!

So - I came in late here - what is SWB for?

2/02/2006 12:19:00 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oooh - do I see that you are being interviewed by the fabulous Whit??

Careful - she will talk your ear off. LOL!

Can't wait to hear that interview. :)

2/02/2006 12:22:00 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Yuuummmm, there's some great looking food! I'll have to look into that Martin Yan book. I have Ken Hom's Quick and Easy book and I don't think it's quite so easy.
PQL is a cute name.
Good luck with getting off sleeve island!

2/02/2006 12:36:00 PM  
Blogger Whit said...

Hmmm.. Steph, you could have a point about my talking people's ears off. Podcasting is a good thing for me. lol

Hey, Jennifer, thanks for doing the interview. You were GREAT and your poem is FAB!!!!

2/02/2006 02:58:00 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Oh, cool, an interview! Awesome!

And maaaaan, that food looks good. I see take out in my (very) near future. Now that is quick and easy.

2/02/2006 06:49:00 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

yum! your pal wants no wool at all? she must be allergic then right?

2/02/2006 06:52:00 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

Oh my goodness, those pictures of deliciousness are making me SO HUNGRY!

2/02/2006 07:09:00 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Your gau gee soup looks incredible!! I'm sitting here at 10 pm, thinking of how I can order gau gee mein now. ;-) And that bao looks so delicious, too. You're so right about how it appeals to everyone- even my picky kids will wolf that down. Well, mostly, anyway...my son eats all the breading and leaves the char siu for me, which I don't mind one bit. ;-) Take care, Jennifer! :-)

2/02/2006 11:58:00 PM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

Oh, I am crying right now. That food looks so good I can practically taste it. Did I mention that I'm on a diet? And very hungry all the time? And I am a total dumpling fanatic?

2/03/2006 09:26:00 PM  
Blogger soapy said...

Those dumblings looks wonderful! Making me hungry! I wish mine looks that good, whats yoru secret?

no wool of any type?? Odd I guess your not making me socks then....LOL

2/04/2006 08:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->