Thursday, January 26, 2006

Fear of a Pansy Jaywalker

I'm up to knitting the heel of my first Jaywalker and find myself paralyzed with fear. I've read so many knitbloggers out there who have had to frog the sock and start over because of sizing woes. Everyone seems to discover this sizing issue around the heel. I'm afraid. I'm very afraid. I'm also a bit stalled on my Twist. I have the sleeves to knit next, and I'm not a big fan of the tours to sleeve island. Sleeves are kind of like Gilligan's Island. It's supposed to be a three hour tour, but it ends up being days of boring. So the only way to counteract knitting fear and boredom is to work a lot on another project. I'm very happily knitting away at the Hermione mittens that I'm doing in a blue-green Cascade 220. They are coming out so cute! I've finished up the thumb on the first one and hope to be done with the first mitten by the weekend. I'll have pictures up later this weekend. So what should I do about propelling myself forward and breaking through the knitting inertia that I find myself in when it comes to the Jaywalker and my inevitable trip to sleeve island? Eat cookies of course! Don't you love how SWB likes the feast or famine approach to sprinkle placement?

15 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

no advice on the socks, but those cookies look damn good!

1/26/2006 06:38:00 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

ummmm! lookin' good! i want to knit jaywalkers too! hope my sizing turns out alright!

1/26/2006 07:01:00 PM  
Blogger yahaira said...

I wouldn't be too scared, when I knit them they fit perfectly. As long as you got gauge and are knitting the right size....just try them on!

1/26/2006 07:36:00 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm afraid of the Jaywalkers too. I'm letting all of the other bloggers I know be guinea pigs before I start a pair!

Good luck!!!

1/26/2006 07:54:00 PM  
Blogger chris said...

When in doubt, eat cookies, I say! Your cookies look absolutely delicious. And you are too funny- I cracked up at your "feast or famine" line and the whole Gilligan's Island sleeve analogy bit. So true- somewhere along the line you take a little detour and next thing you know, you're stuck with the Professor and Ginger. ;-) Take care! :-)

1/26/2006 08:07:00 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Ummm ... can you send some of those to Colorado?? They look yummy. I might have to bake up some goofy premade-dough-in-the-fridge now. And re: Jaywalker, I have (yet) to succomb to the siren song. Good luck!

1/26/2006 08:18:00 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Lincoln said...

Mmmmmm Cookies..... :-)

1/27/2006 01:33:00 AM  
Blogger Iris said...

Oh, I'm really worried now too! I had no idea that the Jaywalker had that sizing problem! I'm not quite at the heel yet, but I will probably get there this weekend... *bites nails worriedly*

Those cookies look very yummy and the sprinkle placement is quite creative. ;-)

1/27/2006 01:59:00 AM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

The classic responses to fear are attack or avoidance. I usually take the avoidance route too. Practice saying "I think I can, I think I can............"

1/27/2006 04:24:00 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

I cracked up at the Gilligan's Island analogy too, it's so true!

I vote for cookies and avoidance, but on the other hand, I am generally the example of What Not To Do.

1/27/2006 09:24:00 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

The little guy says, as he looks over my shoulder, "mmm...I like those cookies!" So, cookies it should be! :)

1/27/2006 03:31:00 PM  
Blogger amandazen said...

Your cookies look yummy. Sorry I have no advice to offer on Jaywalkers. Turning the heal on plain socks is a little too much for me :) I use my crochet hook for that, I find it much easier...

Good Luck!
Amanda

1/27/2006 04:05:00 PM  
Blogger Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

I found that the heel wasn't the issue it was the gusset and then starting out on closing the toe before I had really meassured my foot. Just read the directions and don't think about them to much, just follow em', oh and have a cookie to still your mind, hee hee.

1/27/2006 06:09:00 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

Cookies solve a world of woes!

Amy

1/28/2006 07:22:00 AM  
Blogger littlelixie said...

I'd forgotten how fab hundreds and thousands look on things!

1/29/2006 08:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->