Friday, January 20, 2006

I need a plan with some flexibility

I, along with hundreds of other knitters, joined up with Stephanie's Knitting Olympics. Now I've got some serious buyer's remorse. I've always been a person who feels compells to join activities. In high school I got seriously overextended and ended up really sick for a month because of all the stuff I got involved in (Church youth group leadership which included planning and attending retreats, my high school dance group, a full load of courses that included some honors work, some clubs, you get the idea). I didn't learn my lesson and spent college and my working life involved in too much stuff. Apparently I still haven't learned and am in several KALs, a couple knitting swaps, a SP round, have four things on the needles, am trying to design a sweater, keep up with bloglines sub, want to update the blog, plus the home duties of a SAHM mother of a toddler and preschooler who a coop with at a preschool. Then I sign up for the Knitting Olympics... Obviously I was out of my mind. Now there are several other options out there right now. Margene writes about the Eddie along where we all relax, knit what we want and enjoy the process of the three weeks. There's the UFOlympics where people can finish up things languishing on the needles during the three weeks. There's the Homer Simpson Olympics where we just knit or not knit for three weeks. Margene's Eddie along is probably the closest fit to how I should try to be when it comes with knitting, or with life for that matter. Do what you enjoy, make decisions as they come with intention, enjoy the process, and how life unfolds. For someone that runs to the anxious and the overbooked, I could take a page from that book although the idea both liberates and terrifies me. What I really think I should do though is to not join any Olympics in all of their forms. I think I need to sit out of this one and concentrate on working out what I've got on my plate. I need a plan with some flexibility. I can't give up on the idea of a plan as I'm finding that without a plan I feel a bit scattered and none of my projects get worked on or enjoyed. I need to knit what I've got on the needles, with purpose and intention. I need to not think about the next project but enjoy what projects I'm working on (which by the way, I'm in love with all of them). I need to enjoy expressing myself on the blog and enjoy reading and celebrating/commiserating with my blog friends. I need to not let the idea of KAL translate into pressure. So here's my tentative plan with a full understanding that this can be changed at any time due to a variety of reasons not limited to illness and life. Ready? I will work on Twist everyday as my goal is to wear her to Stitches. I will start Mitten 1 for the mitten swap on Monday. I will alternate between Ruffles and Jaywalkers as time and interest permits. There you have it. Ah, I feel better now.

12 Comments:

Blogger caitlyn said...

Deep breaths...don't stress yourself out too much! I got anxious just reading your post!

1/20/2006 07:10:00 AM  
Blogger jen said...

I walk the fine line between stressing over all of my projects that I *must* complete, and enjoying the process, too! There's a zen balance in there that I have yet to attain, really. But quick knits are helping me. :) Take care!

1/20/2006 08:16:00 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

I know how you feel, with my sock KALs and it takes me forever to finish a sock, much less two, much less 12 (on pair a month for six months). But I can't help myself, I have to join!

1/20/2006 08:59:00 AM  
Blogger amandazen said...

I often times feel like I have to join groups if they have a cute button. I just try to remember that knitting is my hobby not my job.

Definately Margene's "enjoying the process" KAL is the best no pressure.

Happy Knitting...
Amanda

1/20/2006 10:20:00 AM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

remember, you don't get in trouble if you don't finish a KAL :-)

I've never been much of a KAL joiner because I always have my own agenda. If a KAL happens to cross paths with my agenda, then I'll join.

Knit what you want and enjoy what you knit!

1/20/2006 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger chris said...

Sounds like a great plan! Finished projects are great, but enjoying the process is really the best part. Margene's post really resonated with me, too. I'm amazed at how much you manage to accomplish with all that you have on your plate! And wow, Stitches...I'm going to live vicariously through you. ;-) Take care and have a great weekend! :-)

1/20/2006 11:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey - don't think for a minute that I am not starting on my project now (shhhhh - it's a secret)....I think you have done well to work out what actually works for you. My garmnet will probably not get made - but I have started on my cardigan that I have wanted to make for ages - the Olympics has spurred me on to give that a go...so it's all good!

1/20/2006 02:37:00 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

And I bet a set of stitchmarkers you join another KAL before spring is over (officially. March 21st. I'm just sayin' lol)

I love KAL's! I just don't seem to ever actually AL at the same time.

1/20/2006 06:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't agree with you more, Jennifer!

1/22/2006 04:26:00 AM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

The knitting police will not come and arrest you if you don't get all of those things done. I myself have put the Sexy Knitters KAL on the back burner. I am keeping Amylovie's girls while she is in San Diego, and I have to get the felted flowers done before the opening of the shop. I also have a life. So my KAL will just have to wait.

1/22/2006 12:22:00 PM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

Ugh! I could've written this post myself! There are times when I just don't feel like blogging, or knitting. Fortunately, they always pass, but there are days I just want to stay in bed! Glad you're figuring out how to keep from going crazy. I'm all in w/ the Olympics because when they're on, all we will do is sit in front of the tv and watch. So why not knit something at the same time? We'll see if I actually get it done...

1/22/2006 01:00:00 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

May I tag you too? I invite you to list five unusual habits of yours and to tag other five people.

1/22/2006 01:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->