Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Trust in the force

I vaguely remember seeing the Star Wars, A New Hope at the local drive-in with my parents when I was my son's age, 3. I think I fell asleep. (Ah, remember the drive-in double features? There's nothing like eating candy and popcorn in your car with a device hanging on your window with tinny sound.) I grew to love Star Wars over the years. My favorite is Empire Strikes Back. I'm a sucker for the darker stories. My cousin, G, was wild about Star Wars. He had the sheet set and all the toys. RM has similar stories about his childhood. As an adult, I went to see the older three movies rereleased and remastered in the theater, and have been disappointed the most recent three as most of the other Star Wars fans. Little did I expect that I would give life to THE biggest Star Wars fan I've ever met. Little Boy is crazy for Star Wars. Crazy I tell you. He has tons of Star Wars toys, he collect Star Wars trading cards, he watches the original trilogy, he loves the animated Clone Wars. He taught little girl to make realistic light saber sounds. He uses the force every day. RM and decided that we'd give in to the mania. We all now own our personal light saber, mine's purple. A family that duels together, stays together, right? I also have been meaning to mention that I won first place in Laura's "Ugly Ball of Yarn" poem contest. I think all the winning poems were quite clever, and was flattered mine was chosen! I thought this contest was wonderful way to celebrate her 1 year blogiversary. Now, I just need to come up with one for this blog for next month. Hmmmm...

15 Comments:

Blogger caitlyn said...

My husband owns 5 light sabers...along with the Darth Vader helmet that has the voice activation thing.

1/17/2006 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger amylovie said...

I remember going to see Star Wars too. In my kindergarten picture, my mother fixed my hair into Princess Lea buns.

Amy

1/17/2006 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger Whit said...

Loved your poem. I think you should record it and send it along for the podcast. ;-)

Ahhh, Lea buns. I love the "original" Star Wars. I was a little older than you (I was 9) when it came out and I've always been a fan. Han Solo. Need I say more?

1/17/2006 11:10:00 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Yep - we are regular light saber duelers here too. My son has all costumes and he makes up movies about the characters and then directs and films them. I've gotten out of being in any by claiming that someone has to be the audience!

Ok - I confess to the Princess Leia buns too. But mine is even worse - at the roller skate rink while wearing an entire outfit made of terry cloth. Yikes!!!

1/17/2006 11:43:00 AM  
Blogger chris said...

I love that you and RM got matching light sabers! I hope you two let the kids win every now and then. ;-) And congratulations on your contest win!! Great poem, BTW. Ugly balls of yarn deserve a voice, too, after all. Take care! :-)

1/17/2006 12:46:00 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

Congratulations on your poem. Who'd have guessed that the star wars craze would span an entire generation?

1/17/2006 01:59:00 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Lincoln said...

Cool!! :-)
We tried to keep our sabers away from the girls to no avail. I love that Sapphire wanted me to sew her a realistic Jedi costume when she was 5. I had the hardest time finding the right boots though, ended up going with black riding boots.

1/17/2006 09:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! I'm a little late, but thought you should know that I'm hard at work on your mittens for the mitten swap! Yummy yarn and a great pattern...I hope you like them!

1/18/2006 06:40:00 AM  
Blogger jen said...

My little boy is *so* into star wars as well. They'd get along. :) We drive around in my Honda (the X Wing fighter), he's R2D2 in the back, I'm Luke, and the little girl is Princess Leia. When the big sweetie is around, he's always Han Solo and he drives the Blazer (the Millennium Falcon).

1/18/2006 08:00:00 AM  
Blogger Jillio said...

ahaha, so cute!

1/18/2006 01:49:00 PM  
Blogger Jillio said...

haha! i got two ea. of the chocolate cherries and the terra cotta one. i am a hoarder, because i also have deep blue, plumicious, and passion fruit already. oy. i bes' be gettin' on them socks! ;)

1/19/2006 05:29:00 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Congrats on your win! Cute poem(s). Poor ugly yarn.

You've been blogging for a year now? What are thinking of doing for your anniversary?

1/19/2006 07:26:00 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

oh my goodness, awesome poem! if this knitting thing doesn't work out, you could have a career in verse.

1/19/2006 09:40:00 PM  
Blogger lexa said...

I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I've got all the movies on VHS and DVD, plus I collect hard-covered books and probably have 30 or so Star Wars books. I still have a couple of Yoda's from when I was a kid, and a storybook I got when Return of the Jedi came out. I think Empire is my fave, too. So far my two boys aren't into as much as I am, even though I did get them some kid's storybooks. I've got the Star Wars Trivial Pursuit game, but no one will play cuz I kick butt!

1/20/2006 08:26:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got myself Darth Tater for Xmess ;o)

Return of the Jedi is my personal favorite, with A New Hope coming in a close second. I'm not all that impressed with the three pre-quels and I LOVE that your family has their own light sabers!

My aunt was in her teens when A New Hope came out - and she would drink nothing but blue milk at dinner for months.

I leave you with this: Come to the dark side...we have cookies ;o)

1/22/2006 01:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->