Thursday, January 12, 2006

My name is Ashe, and I am a slave

Many of you have *met* Ashe by now. He's the pic in my blogger profile, and he is featured in a few of my FO pic on the blog. Pictures can be deceiving. I'm going to reveal to you today the essence that is Ashe. It is his turn to be featured, and he's been pestering me about it endlessly for the past week. Ashe and Wiji, the black cat featured last month, are siblings. RM and I adopted them together from the Animal Rescue Foundation when we got into our first apartment that allowed pets. When we adopted them, they were already 9 months old, and a bit neurotic. They had been owned by a homeless couple who gave them up for adoption, or so we were told. ARF had given them the enviable names of JoJo (Ashe) and GiGi (Wiji). We decided that those names must change. We decided to name him after the main character in the movie Army of Darkness. It's a cult favorite of ours, and the main character bears some resemblence to his feline counterpart. They are both quirky, leading men who are kind of dopes. The first thing Ashe did when we got him back to our home was hide, perched on the side of the tub between the shower curtains. We kept hearing him thump into the tub and then scramble back up to his perch. As we got to know him better, and he grew to enjoy our company, he let his true self loose. Ashe, my friends, is a prankster, a comic, an acrobat, a friend to children, and a lover of knitting, not so much the yarn (as my other cats are partial to), but the movement of the knitting needle. I get ahead of myself. One of our first glimpses of his nature occured when we bought them a cat condo. He would spend hours jumping off of it doing strange and wonderful acrobatic feats. We also noticed that he thought of himself as the Big Cat of the house, strutting around and trying to boss his sister about. Don't be fooled by his bravado however. Ashe is a "scaredy cat." Every time the cat is taken in his carrier in the car, he cries and defecates. I think the vet has a special notation in his chart of that fact. He's a smart one too though. He taught our youngest cat how to open closet and cabinet doors. Now since this is my knitting/beading blog, I'll fill you in on his love of the knitting needle. Whenever I settle myself to knit, I usually have my three feline friends come to visit. The other two are looking to snatch some yarn, or to rub themselves all over some merino wool. Ashe, is a cat of a different ilk. Ashe likes watching the knitting. He enjoys watching the movement of the knitting needles and yarn, and can watch for quite a while before getting bored. He also loves to be in pictures involving FOs, thus his inclusion in this blog. I think he thinks that the yarn is where the action is. How wise he is. In other news, the prayer shawl will be complete tonight. I will be Jaywalking by tomorrow! Submitted to The Carnival Of Knitting 2

10 Comments:

Blogger Suzie said...

That's one smart (and very cute) kitty!

1/12/2006 08:25:00 AM  
Blogger Christie said...

He's so cute!

1/12/2006 10:00:00 AM  
Blogger jen said...

I like Ashe. He's a cutie!

1/12/2006 12:46:00 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

What a sweet story. I was going to blog about my kitties, too. You beat me to it!

1/12/2006 12:54:00 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

It's great that he respects the yarn. Most kitties don't!

1/12/2006 04:50:00 PM  
Blogger chris said...

That's such a great profile on Ashe! He really does know where the action is, profound little guy. He's such a cutie, too and I think he knows it. :-)

1/13/2006 12:21:00 AM  
Blogger amylovie said...

Ashe is my kind of cat!

Amy

1/13/2006 05:05:00 AM  
Blogger weaselrina said...

Ashe is one cute kitty!

1/13/2006 08:15:00 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Ready to be tagged again? See my blog, if you're interested. You are making me so jealous! I just said to my DH since he's already allergic to our house (we have some mold issues) can I get a cat? He said no!

1/13/2006 09:02:00 PM  
Blogger SAM said...

Your prayer shawl is beautiful. I know how meaningful it is to knit these shawls and it is a joy to give them away. I usually use Homespun, but I have used Light & Lofty as well. I am a cat lover and currently live with only one feline. I found my precious Munchkin wandering my street in search of a home, nearly starving to death. He is now a big, lovable boy who is growing more and more affectionate as time goes by. He and my beagle, Cleo, are best friends.

1/16/2006 07:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->