Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Blog Exposed...

I was reading Grumperina's blog yesterday and was fully enjoying her transcription of a conversation she had with her mom and grandmother about a shawl she just knitted for her mom. Kathy then added an addendum saying that her family does not know about her blog. She asked her readers to talk about who knows about our blogs and why as a sort of meme. Well, I originally wanted to keep my blog sort of private. I didn't tell anyone except for RM about the blog, and that was only because he saw me working on it. As I continued to blog, and my participation in a variety of KALs and article writing increased, it grew harder and harder to keep it private. Now, I'd say that my entire family and most of my friends know about the blog. How did they find out about it? Well, I mentioned that I had one to my mother, but that I wanted to keep it personal. She respected it (sort of), but it drove her crazy that she couldn't read it. I finally gave in and now she reads it often. I told my MIL, my SIL, and my friends because they would ask me what I was working on, and it was easier to direct them to my blog for pics and such since they all live a great distance from me. The rest of my family found out when I emailed them all about an article I had published on the Muench Yarns Website. When they went to go read it, they all saw that I had a blog. I'm at peace with it and kind of like it now. I know that my mom, husband, MIL all are regular readers. My SIL has read it, and my best friend reads when she can. It's become a way for people to keep up with me and my life for the moment. Ultimately, due to privacy reasons, I'm careful about what I put on my blog picture wise and information wise, so all the content on this blog, with the exception of gift knitting/beading, are things that I don't mind my family and friends knowing about. I did get into *trouble* once though. I posted a pic of my yarn stash a few months ago, and RM emailed me from work to "inquire" about it. Found out he read the blog on that day... *ahem* So now you all know where I knit, and who know about the blog. What about you? Who knows about your blog? Also, if you haven't already done so, where do you knit?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

very interesting answers - thanks for playing along!

12/21/2005 07:10:00 AM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

Everyone knows about my blog, my family and friends. It isn't a very exciting or personal blog, just a record of what I have been working on.
I knit wherever I happen to be when I have time to knit. You would need a picture of the couch, the recliner, the glider, the passenger seat of the car, the meeting table for various groups I belong to,......(it goes on)

12/21/2005 11:09:00 AM  
Blogger chris said...

Great post! I saw this meme on Grumperina's blog, and I've always wondered to what extent other bloggers share their blog with those they're most intimate with "in real life." Oops on RM finding out about the stash via the blog!! I'd point out that Raiders ornament to keep him in check. ;-) Take care! :-)

12/21/2005 11:35:00 AM  
Blogger amylovie said...

I don't hide my blog. I did try to keep it from my MIL, but she kept asking me about it. For the sake of family relationships, I gave in and gave her my address.

I love the ramparts yarn holder.

Amy

12/21/2005 11:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That stash-busted thing is kinda my fault, isn't it...oops, sorry about that. Send me the bill for couples therapy ;o)

I have a pretty big mouth so I've told the whole world about my blog - sometimes to my own detriment since some people in my life just don't get satire/sarcasm/or pretty much...me.

:o)

12/23/2005 11:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->