Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Two things that can put a damper on Christmas...

1) Eldest child throwing a tantrum at the dinner table because he doesn't like any food offered up for Christmas dinner. He's a picky eater, and I don't know where he gets it. We've tried many tactics to get him to eat a variety of foods. No joy... literally. General attitude towards food lasted through yesterday. RM and I are working on regrouping. 2) Sink disposal under the kitchen sink springing the mother of leaks WHILE making Christmas dinner. Yep, cleaned up the kitchen floor twice. We had to clean it up once when we realized that the disposal was leaking around the entire circumference of the disposal bottom. The second time came when we started up the dishwasher. We didn't think the dishwasher emptied out into that side of the sink. Well, I'm here to tell you, "Yes, yes it does." What adds to my general annoyance is that I called our home warranty company yesterday morning to make the claim. They give me the name and number of a plumbing company and tell me that I will be receiving a phone call within 24 hours. So I call three times yesterday, leaving messages twice. I never get a call back. I start getting a sneaking suspicion that this plumbing company is closed. I call the warranty company back this morning, 24 hours later. I tell them I never received a call and couldn't contact the plumbing company. The representative informs me that some companies had yesterday as a holiday and I should give them more time. When I tell the rep that I should have been informed of this yesterday, they say, sorry, but can't do anything about it. Now, I'm really annoyed since we wasted an entire day waiting around for the phone call. So I call the plumbing company. Yes, they took the day off yesterday, and yes, my warranty company knew this fact and should have told us. The rep at the plumbing company was very nice and is trying to fit us in today, but may not be able to fit us in until next week. Now, mind you, I can't use my dishwasher, and have limited use of my kitchen sink. So, if I can't get fitted in today, I'm calling the warranty company back and will try to get them to find another company to come out and fix the flippin' disposal! ARGH!!! Did I mention that I'm traveling to be at a wedding this weekend in Southern Californa, and this sink problem just better be fixed by then? On a postive note, I got lots of nice yarn for Christmas, and the kids had a blast with all of their toys. I'll post about the good stuff in a day or so, once I've calmed down...

8 Comments:

Blogger amylovie said...

Oh no!!! I hope your received the finest cashmere to make up for all of that.

Amy

12/27/2005 10:03:00 AM  
Blogger chris said...

Yikes! So sorry to hear that your Christmas had such a damper on it. There's nothing worse than plumbing problems on a holiday! That warranty company is terrible for making you needlessly waste your time waiting. I hope everything works out so that your disposal gets repaired soon. In the meantime, hope that beautiful new yarn helps lift your spirits. Behold the power of yarn! ;-) Take care and hope everything works out! :-)

12/27/2005 11:31:00 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

You can always try Kevin at Diablo Rooter at 827-1332. He seems to work 24/7 and it's his business, not a chain. He's great. He's bailed us out many a time.

Yarn cures all Christmas disappointments. It's magical.

12/27/2005 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

Wow what an exciting Christmas for you! I hope things get better for you soon.

I'm surprised that the plumbing company took the day off. I hear that big "cooking" holidays are some of their busiest times with all the non-cooks throwing everything in the disposal...

12/27/2005 12:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't say what model of waste disposal had leaked...

Possibility is that casing has corroded through and / or fractured so that it won't hold water any more.

Also, dishwasher may be draining through waste disposal (bad plumbing practice but it happens) or the drain doesn't fall right and the water runs back into to the W/D casing.

Either way, the waste disposer is presumably toast.

DEPENDING ON THE MAKE / MODEL, it may be quite easy to remove the unit and attach a new one WITHOUT changing the coupler on the bottom of the sink.

If so, you could just buy a replacement unit and fit it yourself. The 'bayonet-type' coupling undoes by turning about one-eigth turn and the unit just drops down (careful - it's heavy). New unit should reattach to old coupling. Hook up the power and airswitch connections and you're done.

12/27/2005 01:49:00 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Oh, that really bites!! I hope they fix it soon. Glad that you got good yarn, though!

12/27/2005 02:13:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Bummer! My younger son threw up just as we were sitting down to dinner on Christmas Eve. I figure it isn't really a holiday without a little chaos. LOL!

Hope everything is back to normal!

12/28/2005 07:04:00 AM  
Blogger Iris said...

Oh dear. Sounds as if you had a rather difficult xmas... But then, it rarely does go without some kind of trouble, doesn't it?

Hope the sink will be fixed soon!!

12/29/2005 01:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->