Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Ever had a holiday kinda sneak up on you?

Well, Chinese New Year has broadsided me. Things have been humming here in Craftylilly Town. SWB's two schools are keeping me busy. I've been knitting away on four projects, and been sneaking in reading next month's selection for Knit the Classics. I've been thinking about some design ideas, and keeping up with the regular day-to day stuff of life. Frankly, I've been enjoying the calm after the storm of Christmas and the New Year's wedding I was in. I've been lulled into a false sense of security. Chinese New Year festivities start THIS weekend, people. Do I have my oranges? No. Do I have enough red envelopes (lai see)? Barely. Do I have candy? No. Red flowering plant? No. New money for the red envelopes for the children? No. No, no, no, and wait a minute... No. For future reference for any of you who celebrate the holiday, don't go to your local Asian market expecting to find red envelopes the week before New year. They won't have any, and will enjoy telling you that they had a lot a couple of weeks ago, but are fresh out now. Sheesh.

15 Comments:

Blogger Christie said...

Happy New Year's girl! We're going to mom's for dinner this weekend to grub down. I can't wait!

1/24/2006 04:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your tasks at hand sound daunting but I am sure that you will get it all done :-)

I don't know about the Chinese New Year but it sounds intriguing. I would love to know about the symbolism of those items.

Happy New Year!

~Abi

1/24/2006 04:56:00 PM  
Blogger roxy =^o^= said...

Jen, are you Asian too?

1/24/2006 05:32:00 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

Holiday rush is always annoying, isn't it? I hope you still get to celebrate and enjoy the holiday with your family, red envelopes or not.

1/24/2006 06:17:00 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Not me, I can spot a day off from school a mile away! I saw some red envelopes at Nob Hill (supermarket) of all places, and they were stamped with their names, Nob Hill, Raley's and whoever else they're connected to, so you might want to check at a grocery store if you need some.

Have a great holiday!

1/24/2006 06:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have mentioned about the lai see packets earlier and I would have sent some your way.

1/24/2006 09:54:00 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Kung Hee Fat Choy! Our local Chinatown actually had their New Year's celebration this past weekend. The kids had so much fun watching the lion dances and eating gao. Hope you're able to find enough lai see in time- it might be late, but I could get some and send them to you if you're interested. Take care! :-)

1/25/2006 02:48:00 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

ACK! holidays come quickly, and it seems i am never prepared! have a happy chinese new year, and i hope you find red envelopes somewhere!

i joined socaplaoooza too:)

1/25/2006 03:43:00 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

One wonders if she can use the red envelopes that she bought last year that came in a pack of like, bazillion. No oranges at my house yet either, no candy, no nothing. I'm just as behind. Sigh. But, I have a red sweater to wear for lunch at my grandmother's! :) Come on, I have to be given that! :)

1/25/2006 07:38:00 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Happy New Year! Or soon. Just when you thought you had it under control.

1/25/2006 10:38:00 AM  
Blogger jen said...

Happy Chinese New Year! (Is happy the right word there?) Good luck getting it all organized!

1/26/2006 06:32:00 AM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

Happy Year of the Dog! (My year!! Now you know how old I am!!! or at least you can guess.)

wow, you go all out when celebrating. I just eat Chinese food and call my dad. Maybe that's because I grew up in an area with few Asians so the only people celebrating the holiday were members of my family.

1/26/2006 07:20:00 AM  
Blogger amylovie said...

Happy Chinese New Year! I have to admit, I didn't know it was Chinese New Year. The more holidays the better. Enjoy!

Amy

1/26/2006 11:22:00 AM  
Blogger weaselrina said...

Happy New Year!

I don't know much about Chinese New Year but you certainly piqued my interest, and I'm going to read up on it!

1/26/2006 11:56:00 AM  
Blogger Whit said...

I want to celebrate another holiday!!!!!!

Hey, sorry I haven't gotten back with you about the PC - but I'll be contacting you soon!!!!

1/26/2006 05:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->