Sunday, January 29, 2006

Welcoming the Year of the Dog!

Gung Hay Fat Choy everyone! When I realized that this year is the Year of the Dog, all I could think about was the 90s band Temple of the Dog. Remember them? I also thought about how this summer would truly have the "dog days of summer." I could go on, but I'll spare you. As you can see, I did get together the oranges lai see, and candy out. I was also able to get some CNY stuff together for SWB's school. I think I'm good. I'm also going to make some dumpling soup this week, so the family is looking forward to that. Enough of New Year's festivities! On to the knitting!

I have managed to complete a project this weekend. Meet Ruffles, my new favorite scarf. I started her way back in October when I needed a travel project for my plane trip to San Diego. I didn't get very far on that trip, but another trip to San Diego and several nights of CSI, and a few movies later, we have scarfage. I have to say that after a while this pattern got well, repetitive. Since I kept getting bored, it spent large amounts of time alone in its little knitting bag. Now that it's done I'm in love with it. It looks awesome, and the Calmer is so comfy. It's a perfect scarf for California weather.

Project stats:

Pattern: Ruffles from the Scarfstyle book, designed by Amanda Blair Brown

Yarn: Rowan Calmer in Joy

Needles: Clover bamboo size 6, 16 inch circ

What I learned: When a pattern starts getting a bit boring, yet the results look so good, soldier on. The FO will be so worth it.

I have also completed my first Hermione glove for my mitten swap pal. I love this pattern; I love this yarn. I'm using Cascade 220. I love this color, but am a goof and now can't find the ball band. I think it's the same color that Laura is using for her backyard leaves scarf. I think Laura will agree with me, that this color would make a fantastic sweater. (Must find ball band.) This pattern is very fun and relatively quick to knit. I finished this glove in a week which, believe me, is quick. The really good news, is that the glove came out quite big for my hands. I've got rather small hands. You know those stretch gloves you can get at Target? Yeah, my hands barely stretch them out. I think these will fit my pal perfectly with minimal blocking. Yay!

I wish you all a fruitful and prosperous year full of fun and fiberly goodness!

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your mittens are adorable! Love the bobbles and the color.

I saw Temple of the Dog at Lollapalooza in 1992 (I think that was the year) they were on the side stage). That was a great concert! I had forgotten about them...thanks for jogging my memory :-)

1/29/2006 10:39:00 AM  
Blogger chris said...

Gung Hay Fat Choy!! I'm glad you were able to get the lai see- the kids must be happy! ;-) Your Ruffles scarf looks wonderful! It looks so cute on you. And your glove looks fantastic, too! The pattern is great and I LOVE that color of cascade...I was admiring it on Laura's blog and now I'm absolutely smitten with it, seeing it on yours. I'm going to search that color out! Have a great Sunday and take care! :-)

1/29/2006 10:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Scarf, Nice gloves, Nice Photo of you too~

1/29/2006 12:19:00 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

Happy New Year to you and your family.

I love your ruffles scarf! Someday I will have to make one. I'm still looking for the perfect yarn.

1/29/2006 12:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

I love your scarf - and the mitten looks very nice!

1/29/2006 05:53:00 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Gung hay fat choy!

I always lose my bands off the ball. I keep them, but they're loose and sad to say, I can't always figure out what went where.

Ruffle is verrrry pretty! As the wearer, 'course.

1/29/2006 07:23:00 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Happy New Year, Jennifer!
The Ruffles Scarf looks great. I agree that the pattern gets pretty boring, but I ended up liking my Ruffles a lot too.
*LOVE* the Hermione glove!!! Very, very cute! I need to motivate myself to try knitting gloves!

1/29/2006 09:00:00 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

I love my Calmer Ruffles too. Boring pattern, great result. Your mittens will be very well received.

Amy

1/30/2006 04:45:00 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

ruffles looks great on you! i have been wanting to make that same light weight scarf for texas weather as well... i love that color of blue on your mitten! calmer is such a soft yarn , i haven't worked with it yet...it would make the best sweater ;)

1/30/2006 05:15:00 AM  
Blogger Christie said...

Happy New Year to you! OooOOOooooOo...calmer. I need some calmer.

1/30/2006 12:07:00 PM  
Blogger soapy said...

I LOVE your mitts! What a GREAT pattern! I so wish I signed up fo rhte swap!! Next time I hope.....

1/30/2006 01:06:00 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Lincoln said...

Happy New Year!

I loved Temple of the Dog, I had the cd playing in my hospital room when I had Sapphire!
I still get it out sometimes.
You look so great in your scarf. I need to knit more scarves.

1/30/2006 01:53:00 PM  
Blogger Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

Great mittens! Where did you find the pattern? I have that same color waiting to be used.

Happy New Year~!

1/30/2006 02:08:00 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

How was your new year? Mine was okay considering I had all the kids home from school. It will be more fun when their Spring Festival happens in two weeks. (Actually, out in your neck of the woods, well, closer to you than me I think.)

1/31/2006 08:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gung Hay Fat Choy! I don't know exactly what that means but I feel so cool writing it :-)

You look so cute in that ruffled scarf. I bet you're getting compliments left and right on it.

1/31/2006 12:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your mitts! Now I got to go find the pattern.

2/01/2006 12:47:00 AM  
Blogger luvs2knit said...

Your mittens are very nice. I hope you are wearing them. They look nice and warm.

Thanks for commenting about my IK Cable Shrug on the FallCableKAL blog.

2/01/2006 11:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->