Saturday, February 11, 2006

I will watch anything when I knit

Well, maybe not anything. I've sunk pretty low in the past though. Every once in a while we will rent a wretched film. Movies like The Fantastic Four, The Ring 2, Alien vs. Predator, there are others, but I'm working on a mental block. It's times like these that I am thankful I have my knitting to distract me from the train wreck on the TV. Last night, RM and I offended our movie sensibilities yet again. We sat through... Doom. I wish I could erase that almost 2 hour horror show from my memory. It was truly horrible. I really wish Karl Urban, the guy who played Eomer Eadig in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy would pick some better movies. Yikes. On the positive side, I got a lot done on my Twist collar. I should be able to finish up today. I did manage to finish up one Jaywalker yesterday. I like the look of the Sock Garden and it is quite comfy. Getting the sock on is a little tight, but it's manageable. Once the sock is on, it's comfortable and warm. I need hurry up and cast on for the second one so that I can have a pair of socks soon. One of my Brittany size 1 DPNs bit the dust while making the jaywalker. It broke totally. I like working with bamboo, but I'm wondering if I should use sturdier DPNs for sock work. I'm not a big fan of aluminum DPNs though. Any suggestions? In other sock news I got the yarn that I'm going to use for my sockapaloooza pal's socks yesterday. I'm planning on using Cascade Fixation in the Harlequin colorway. I'm excited to get started on them, but I think I'll get the second Jaywalker out of the way first. I also want to send a huge thank-you to my Felted SP! I got the package a couple of days ago and am just thrilled with everything. She sent me 3 skeins of Malabrigo in three lovely colorways. I'm dreaming of hats and mittens! She also sent me one of the new orange Chibi's, a knitting diary, and the yarn estimator card. I love everything! Thanks to everyone who sent us good health vibes. SWB feels a lot better. PQL is still feeling a bit down, but is improving. My symptoms have turned into just a cold. Enough to make me feel a little sluggish and sick, but not enough to knock me out, thank goodness. RM feels about like I do. I'm just hoping to kick it before Stitches next weekend!

13 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

When my hands are busy knitting I sometimes can't be bothered to change the channel. My husband comes in to find me "watching" some pretty weird stuff.

You could try birch or ebony DPN's but personally I think anything but bamboo hurts my hands. I tend to hold the tiny DPN's more tightly so I need a needle that has a bit of flex to it. If you need flex maybe you could try Pony Pearl or Swallow Casein (keep away from cats though!). Pony Pearls have pretty blunt tips though.

2/11/2006 10:42:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Ooooh, I love that Sock Garden. Which colorway is that? They look so muhc prettier knitted up than in the catalog (and they look pretty nice in the skein).

Is Fantastic Four really bad? I have it in my Blockbuster queue. I am (not so) secretly in love with Ioan Gruffudd, and will watch just about anything he's in. I could watch him read the phone book, and be totally entertained.

I have been known to do what Stephanie does too -- not bother to change the channel while knitting.

2/11/2006 11:30:00 AM  
Blogger chris said...

Your Jaywalker looks so pretty in that colorway! Is that Pansy? Like Laura, I sometimes find that just looking through the colorways in the catalog doesn't do them justice. Yours is the second Pansy I've seen knitted up and it's so much prettier than in the catalog. I'm making a mental note for my next order already. ;-) And what an awesome SP package! Look at all that beautiful Malabrigo! Yikes on your Brittany dpns...I always get nervous with my Brittany size 1's, too, and for good reason, apparently! Good news, though- I think Brittany has some lifetime replacement policy?? You might want to look on their website, but I read that someone had the same thing happen and they replaced her whole set for free. Hope you're feeling better and on the mend soon...take care! :-)

2/11/2006 12:54:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I haven't seen Doom, but thank you for the warning. We own Fantastic Four, but it was not a purchase *I* made. I'm usually watching network tv while knitting, and I can't be bothered to change the channel either.

Oooh, an orange Chibi! I've also seen blue somewhere on the net. I need to get my hands on one (or both!) of those! The Malabrigo looks yummy!

2/11/2006 12:56:00 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

We are going to carry Malabrigo at the store. It really is amazing.

Amy

2/11/2006 06:33:00 PM  
Blogger amandazen said...

Your Jaywalker came out great. Great yarn choice...

Amanda :)

2/11/2006 07:56:00 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

The Jaywalker looks great, Jennifer!!! I'm sure you'll be done with the second one in no time. Glad that you and yours are feeling better!

2/11/2006 09:16:00 PM  
Blogger Iris said...

I love the look of your Jaywalker! Well done girl. :-)

There is no progress on mine... the strangest things happen to my knitting when it comes to socks - I swear I could probably finish a sweater in the time it takes me to knit 1 sock!

2/12/2006 02:25:00 AM  
Blogger jen said...

Glad you're feeling better! Loving your socks ... those are so on my must-make list. I was thinking the same thing with the FO's ... I think spinning yarn counts, too! :) Take care!

2/12/2006 08:48:00 AM  
Blogger lexa said...

I really like the color of your Jaywalkers. Very eyecatching!

2/12/2006 03:49:00 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

you watched all of Doom? Why? Can't you just turn it off? I've stopped watching movies that I didn't like.

That sock is amazing. Great colors great pattern.

2/12/2006 05:42:00 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

What a great package! Did I tell you my Brittany story? I broke a dpns while knitting, contacted them and they sent me a whole new set! I love Brittany! I've only used bamboo and wooden dpns, so I can't help on other types but there are also casein needles. My friend says they smell, though.

2/12/2006 06:19:00 PM  
Blogger amber said...

I will also watch anything while knitting... but I actually kinda liked alien vs predator. But i have athing for B horror type movies :)

great sock and yout Twist turned out really well!

2/14/2006 01:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->