Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The beads are feeling neglected

The yarn gets a lot of love on the old blog and at home. Knitting is just more reasonable to do with young children. First, there's the choking hazard presented by beads. Second, the set up and take down of my beading workstation is quite labor intensive. Third, setting down a bead project is a bit harder to do as beads by nature are quite fiddly. I will be doing a bit more beading the next few weeks as I have a special order of stitch markers to make, and a peyote stitch cuff that has been burning up my idea notebook. I also seem to feel more motivated to bead when it starts looking more like spring outside. I can't believe I already see buds on the trees. Today, I thought I'd share with you one of my first beading projects that I designed myself. This is an amulet bag that I made using the circular peyote stitch technique. This technique uses a beading stitch in the round. How you do this with beads is work the off loom bead weaving while holding your beadwork on a wood dowel, to stabilize the beads and to provide a surface to work the stitch. I used 11/0 seed beads for the project and designed the bead pattern myself. I'm quite proud of it the results, though I hardly have the opportunity to wear the piece. Well, this will be a short post as SWB and PQL have been battling really bad colds this week. I feel the virus sinking it's meaty claws into me as well. Before I go though a preview of coming events. I've seamed up Twist and am in the final stages of knitting on the button band and collar. The Jaywalkers have been shown some love lately, and I hope to have the first Jaywalker to show soon. If I'm not in bed coughing up a lung by the weekend I hope to have some FO's for you soon!

13 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

Oh no! There's nothing worse than mom falling prey to the nasty cold bug. We all know that if mom goes down, the whole ship goes down! Hoping that the kids are feeling better and on the mend soon and keeping my fingers crossed for you. Your amulet bag is so pretty! Really gorgeous. I have to admit that I don't know the first thing about beading. I love looking at beaded products, but it looks like such hard work! Can't wait to see Twist..take care! :-)

2/08/2006 01:03:00 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Nooo! It's horrible when The Mom gets sick! Candsmom is right, the whole ship goes down. And you know, you'll just be slogging around doing everything sick as a dog. Sending good health vibes your way.....

That bag is gorgeous! And I'm sure your special orderer of stitchmarkers doesn't want it to be a PITA or disrupt your Olympic KAL in anyway.

2/08/2006 01:28:00 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

Your amulet is lovely. You are quite a talented beader (and knitter, and mom). I hope you get to feeling better.

Amy

2/08/2006 03:16:00 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Sounds like you are in the same boat as me. Princess Ariel had 103.9 temp today! Luckily, Sir Lancelot has avoided it thus far - probably because he avoids his sister. But I'm starting to feel that creeping virus feeling...yuck!

2/08/2006 03:25:00 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Very cute bag! I hope you and your little ones feel better soon.

2/08/2006 08:45:00 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

The bag is adorable. Shiny! That bag is one of those things that tempts me to try another craft. (so keep it away from me!)

I hope you feel better soon.

2/08/2006 11:36:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

The bag is beautiful! Beading is one of those crafts that awes me, because I am definitely not so good at the fiddly stuff. :) I can't wait to see all these WIPs you've been working on, too.

I hope you feel better -- it so sucks to be a Sick Mommy. In my house, everything must stop when The Other Adult gets sick, but for some reason, when Mommy gets sick she still has to do everything! Bleh. Here's hoping you get a break so that you can heal!

Tip: lots of zinc and Vitamin C! Emergen-C powder rocks! Also if you can start taking it just as you are starting to feel sick -- and I mean those very first twinges of sick feeling -- a homeopathic remedy called Umcka really helps.

2/09/2006 03:11:00 AM  
Blogger Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

That is lovely! beading is one of my other things I like to do, but don't find time for.

2/09/2006 08:35:00 AM  
Blogger jen said...

Hey Jennifer! Loove the Hermione mittens and your Ruffles ... the bag is so cute, too! :) Thanks for the nice note today!

2/09/2006 12:40:00 PM  
Blogger soapy said...

what a georgous bag!

2/09/2006 06:15:00 PM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

Beading w/ small children is a total nightmare. I got into making stitch markers last fall, but every time I'd sit down to do it, Sydney was right there, in my face, picking through the beads and trying to feed them to her brother. Agh! I might be a bit more motivated to do it if my stuff looked as lovely as yours! ;->

2/09/2006 06:21:00 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

wow that is beautiful! i found a great beading store in town yesterday,so i need to get back down there and get some beads and give my first project a try :) your an enabler! hope you get to feeling better :(

2/10/2006 04:54:00 AM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

I hope you get better soon!

2/10/2006 11:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->