Friday, February 17, 2006

Your mission should you choose to accept it

Tomorrow marks this blog's one year anniversary. I can't believe I've been blogging for a year. When I started this blog, we had just moved into our new home, my youngest had just turned 6 months, and I was getting sleep and into the swing of things. I was beginning to feel a bit more like myself. As I came out of the haze of my youngest's early infancy, and had waded through the last of the real estate stuff, it began to sink in that I was now a SAHM. I had left my teaching position at the end of the previous school year, but between 3rd trimester pregnancy, selling and buying a house, and no sleep due to round the clock feedings, I hadn't really given much thought to it. Now I began to think about it. Some things that I realized that I needed were a sense of community, and something that would get my thoughts down on paper. Anyone who knows me, knows that I always like having things to do. I'm not a good idle person, although lately I'm beginning to see the charm of a lazy afternoon. Knitting really helped with this as it gave me a relaxing task to do when I had a moment. Knitting at home gave me the something to do, but didn't give me the community aspect. I had been reading blogs for some time and enjoying them. The thought occured to me that I could blog too, and thus maybe be a small part of a larger community that I enjoyed. I could participate in the conversation as it were. So I signed up for a blogger account and started writing. A year later I've made some friends, and expanded my blog reading. I enjoy updating my blog and adding to the sidebar. I join (too many) KAL's and swaps. I really feel like I craft and create along with all of you. Now my off line life has gotten significantly busier due to my children's school commitments. I can only imagine that life will continue to be busy. In a few years I plan to return to the classroom as well. I feel at home in front of a classroom of teenagers. Strange but true, I know. But I think I will always carry this experience of blogging, both writing and reading, as a charmed part of my life, even if I decide one day to stop blogging and write in a journal instead or join a local knitting group. Well enough about my musings on my last blogging year, onto the contest!! In celebration of this blog's first year anniversary, I thought we'd brainstorm a little about good music to listen to while knitting. Now I have very eclectic musical tastes. I can and will listen to all genres from folk to reggae, country to heavy metal, rap to alternative. What I listen to often changes with my mood, or what I'm doing. I can listen to Metallica when I go out running, but Bach is better when I'm trying to relax with a glass of wine. So what 3 songs do you think would be perfect to knit to? Send your three song nominations for "the best songs to knit to" to craftylilly AT hotmail DOT com by next Friday, February 24th 7PM PST. I will pick a winner randomly. The winner will receive 2 skeins (400 yds total) of Treasure Island Cotton Handpaint by White Lies Designs (87% cotton, 10% nylon, 3% rayon) in a lovely tropical color mix. I will also compile all the responses and make a posting of all the songs suggested. Dig into those music collections!

19 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

happy blogiversary! i have to start thinking of songs. (my favorite running music? van halen!)

2/17/2006 08:14:00 AM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Congratulations on your blog anniversary! It is great to learn more about you and why you blog.

2/17/2006 08:19:00 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

happy blogiversary! knitting music? let me think and i will email you to enter the contest :)

2/17/2006 08:23:00 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

Three songs to knit by....hmmm "Love Shack" by the B'52's, and "Layla", the long version, by Eric Clapton... because those are just the best to do ANYTHING by... and, a third, how 'bout one of my all-time favorite praise songs, "Shout to the Lord,"

2/17/2006 08:24:00 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

PS - most importantly, thanks for blogging and congrats on your 1-year bloggiversary!!

2/17/2006 08:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary!!

As soon as you asked about songs my mind went completely blank. I got nuthin'

I don't need more yarn, anyway ;o) Yes, I said it. Breathe... *grin*

I'll be giving some of mine away on Monday in celebration of my blogiversary (which, as you know, we share ;o) )

2/17/2006 08:37:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy blogiversary!

Ok, here goes...


"Bizzare Love Triangle" cover by Frente!

"Combat Baby" by Metric

And my all-time-favorite song for anything: "H." by Tool

2/17/2006 08:53:00 AM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

Oh, I love that yarn! I don't usually knit to music. If I am in the car knitting, we are listening to some car repair talk show (gag) and that is why I knit. If I am at home, I usually knit while watching TV in the evening. I do take CD's for the knitting group to listen to. The group's favorite is a CD called Peaceful Praise by Gary Prim. He plays old time, familiar hymns in a calming, melodic way on the the piano or keyboard. In trying to think of other music for knit-listening, I put "knitting songs" in Google and up popped Doozer's Knitting Song. I would give you a link to it, but I don't know how. I'll bet Google would tell you where it was.

2/17/2006 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger chris said...

Happy Blogiversary to you!! Here's to many more! I'm so glad that I got the chance to "meet" you through blogging- I love your blog and your fantastic knits. I enjoyed reading your reasons for blogging, too, many of which compelled me to join the knit blog world as well. Have a wonderful time at Stitches and I'm looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back!! Take care! :-)

2/17/2006 11:59:00 AM  
Blogger jen said...

Happy blogiversary! My blog is happier that yours is here! And as for the songs ... I'll compile a good list and send it your way. :)

2/17/2006 12:04:00 PM  
Blogger Bonne Marie said...

The happiest of blogiversaries to you m'lady - you are a delightfully charming presence online - wish we could sit and knit a bit in our living rooms together, but hey! That's what we're doin' isn't it :) yeah - I love it!

2/17/2006 07:28:00 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Happy Blogiversary! That word "pings" in my head as misspelled every time I see it.

Hmmm. Songs. I tend more towards stirring marches or lovely classical music (yeah, I love it, but I couldn't tell you if it was Ravel or the Righteous Bros). Something without words. For awhile there I was listening to Benedictine Monks chant or the King's Church Choirboys sing the old, old Latin masses. At least that's what the cover says they're singing. I wish I'd learned Latin.

2/17/2006 07:46:00 PM  
Blogger chittavrtti said...

Three songs? I can suggest three albums and perhap pick a song from each...I tend to like happy music when I knit. Something that has good imagery but is not distracting. Lessee...Albums: Shimmering Warm and Bright, Bel Canto; Space Flower, the Wild Swans and Deep by Peter Murphy. Songs: Shimmering Warm and Bright, Butterfly Girl and Cuts You Up.

I'm looking forward to seeing whta otherssuggest. ***CV

2/17/2006 08:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BLOG ANNIVERSARY!!! [Throws confetti all around.]

2/18/2006 01:29:00 AM  
Blogger Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

Happy Blog-go-versary~

my 3 favorites to listen to for knitting???
Sweater Song- Weazer (how could you not like a song about a sweater???)
I am way into Death Cab for Cutie, so anything by them
and the Garden State sound track.
Not really songs, but more of my sound track as of late...

2/18/2006 09:00:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like to knit to Losing Your Religion by R.E.M. when I am losing it, i.e. my project is driving me crazy!

2/19/2006 04:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Blogniversary, Jennifer! I'm really glad to have 'met' you through your blog. As for songs, I really enjoy knitting with Norah Jones' Come Away with Me album and Kathleen Battle sings Mozart never goes wrong. I don't know why, when I sew, I listen to Teresa Deng (do you know her?).

2/20/2006 12:46:00 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I don't have any standout favorites, but I like to knit to The Knitters! Name aside, they are really good!

2/20/2006 04:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary! I have pretty ecletic music tastes. Right now I am listening to Trout Fishing in America CD "Infinity." Although I would have to say I am a Ani Difranco, Tori Amos, Norah Jones fan as well right now.

I look forward to reading your posts and wish you all the luck in the world!

2/24/2006 08:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->