Friday, March 03, 2006

It's all about the red and pink, baby

Project Spectrum has started in earnest at Casa de Craftylilly. I'm working on my Angelica Tunic with this fantastic cotton/rayon handpaint from Over the Rainbow yarns on ebay. The yarn is just gorgeous. I usually find working with cotton to be a bit more uncomfortable than working with wool, but this stuff is quite nice. I took the photo of my progress yesterday, which was overcast and ugly, so you don't really get a good look at the beauty of this yarn. The colors go from red, to magenta, to a coppery green. The colorway is called Autumn, which it really does resemble. The rayon adds a nice sheen to the fabric as well. Angelica will be the perfect spring sweater. I've been noticing that we like the colors red and pink quite a lot at my house. Take the kidlets clothing for example. Lots of red and pink action here. Then of course there is my sock knitting bag. I bought this bag at Piddleloop, a fantastic little company that makes the cutest knitting bags and pouches. The overall color of the bag is purple, but there's a lot of pink in there too. Now my sockpal's yarn, the Cascade Fixation, is decidedly not pink or red. It is a rather subversive black and white. The yarn totally fits my sockpal though. I'm really enjoying reading her blog. She's a fun knitter, who definitely knits to the beat of her own drummer. I like a girl who know her mind! I wish I could share her blog with you. You'll just have to wait a couple of months! I'm using a free pattern using Cascade Fixation called the Spring Garden socks. I think the lace pattern will look interesting with this yarn. *EDITED TO ADD* I just spent the last hour trying to work with this pattern and yarn. Ummm, I think I'll be choosing a less complex pattern for this yarn. Fixation is going to take some getting used to, and all the YOs and twisting is too much. Wish me luck. As a final note, I usually don't advertise about my bead stitchmarker and jewelry shop over at etsy.com, but I've been getting some emails from people so I thought I'd just mention that I also do special order stitch markers. If you let me know what colors or themes you'd like for your markers, how many you want (I usually do sets of 5 or 10), and what size needle you'd like them to fit, I can work something out with you. I haven't updated my store in a while, but am working on it. I hope to have some new sets up by the end of the month, but feel free to contact me if you have something special in mind.

16 Comments:

Blogger amylovie said...

Your colors in your spectrum sweater are lovely.

Amy

3/03/2006 02:47:00 PM  
Blogger SAM said...

Love the sweater...but what I really love is the sock knitting bag and the Fixation. I love the sock pattern too - one of my fav's.

3/03/2006 03:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the colors of your Anglica Tunic! Look forward to seeing it all knit up!

3/03/2006 04:57:00 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

The sweater is looking great! Thanks for reminding me about the fixation patterns, I like the textured/lace/houdstooth pattern.

3/03/2006 05:33:00 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

that's going to be one hot angelica! love the color combo.

3/03/2006 06:06:00 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

Pink and red rule! Everything should be pink, red, or purple. :-)

3/03/2006 07:22:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Have you tried the Broadripple pattern from Knitty? It was written for Fixation and is pretty cool.

3/03/2006 08:42:00 PM  
Blogger amandazen said...

Your Angelica Tunic is coming out great! I love the colors.


Amanda

3/04/2006 09:34:00 AM  
Blogger Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

ohhh an Angelica! that is one of the patterns that I really want to try~ lookin' good so far~

3/04/2006 09:38:00 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

angelica is going to be AWESOME!

great bag btw

3/04/2006 10:20:00 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Angelica sure is a pretty colorway.

You do great special order stitchmarkers! All you had was a pic of my yarn.

I'd forgotten mohair is evil though. Evil, evil, evil.

3/04/2006 11:00:00 AM  
Blogger chris said...

Your Angelica looks wonderful!! The colorway you're using is absolutely gorgeous... I love the subtle bits of green blended in with the pinks. And your sock bag is so cute! Thanks for the info on your shop... I'll be checking it out soon! Take care and have a great weekend, Jennifer! :-)

3/04/2006 11:01:00 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

oh i love that sweater! cotton is hard on my hand and elbows too... there just isn't any give in the fiber so i get tired easily.... i love those cow stitch markers that company had for sale.... do you have a link up on your blog for your etsy store?

3/05/2006 04:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The picture of the kidlets totally upstages the picture of your fab red and pink knitting. PRICELESS!

3/05/2006 12:18:00 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

I got some fixation myself more than a year ago and found it too stretchy, I was getting very uneven stitches. I cannot imagine how it could be used for lace. Still, it is a lovely yarn, and I'd love to find out what pattern you find that works with it.

3/05/2006 01:09:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Your sweater looks great! I am going to have to check out that pattern -- it sounds promising. Hope everyone is feeling better at Chez Craftylilly. :)

3/06/2006 04:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->