Friday, February 24, 2006

A ticket for Jaywalking

I wonder if anyone has actually gotten a ticket for Jaywalking? I've never heard of it happening, and yet, the few times I've done it, I'm always checking for cops. I don't want to see that fine. As you've probably guessed, I've completed the pansy Jaywalkers. The Sock Garden in Pansy is a very striking colorway. My first sock took a very traditional turn, striping in a nice predictable fashion. The second sock did some very interesting pooling. I like it! I think one of the fun things about working with a variegated yarn is seeing how the colors develop in a sock. This pattern is perfect to show off variegated sock yarn to its best advantage. I used size 1 DPNs which I am finally getting rather comfortable using. They no longer feel ridiculously thin. The finished sock is very warm and cozy. Many knitters had some problem with sizing with the Jaywalker around the ankle region. I have to say that getting these socks on is a little more snug than I like, but I can get them on no problem. Now my sock plate is ready for my Sockapaloooza socks! Project Specs: Pattern: Jaywalker pattern by Grumperina Yarn: Knitpicks Sock Garden in Pansy Needles: Brittany Size 1 DPNs Time to complete: About a month? I think? Comments: I like them! I think I'll be making more for gifts. I enjoyed using the Sock Garden, and may try out some of their other colorways. I've heard that Sock Garden also felts, so I'm thinking of using the leftover yarn to make my Ipod Shuffle a cozy. In other blog news, Whit who has both a blog and a podcast, About Time, interviewed me for her latest episode. I read a poem that I wrote for Laura's blogiversary and talk about knitting and beading. There are a lot of great things featured in this episode like a very funny song, and a really touching poem written during WWI about knitting. Whit's podcast is great, so if you haven't already checked it out, you'll enjoy it! Thank you to all who wish us good health! With the help of pharmacology, we are feeling much better and almost back into the swing of things. Good thing too! I've got to get my sari silk project done before the end of the month!

20 Comments:

Blogger Lynda said...

Yeah! for feeling better AND finishing your Jaywalkers! I've used that Pansy colorway before, too, and LOVE it. Nice job!

2/24/2006 02:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great socks! I can tell you from personal experience that that tickets for jaywalking- it actually does happen. So if you're ever in the Westwood neighborhood of L.A., don't even so much as cut the corner of a crosswalk- they'll get you. :p

2/24/2006 02:51:00 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

First Muench, now a podcast. Dang girl, you are getting downright famous!

Amy

2/24/2006 03:17:00 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Cool! Now I get to see what YOU sound like! LOL! Isn't it weird hearing your own voice like that & isn't Whit fun to talk to?? :)

2/24/2006 05:39:00 PM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

Great job on the socks. You don't need a ticket. You deserve a certificate in jaywalking.

2/24/2006 05:52:00 PM  
Blogger lexa said...

What beautiful colors! They are one of my favorites I've seen so far. Great!

2/24/2006 06:30:00 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

What pretty socks those are! You did a great job with them!

2/24/2006 08:45:00 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Your Jaywalkers are GORGEOUS!! I love the funky coloring on the cuff, too. They look like a perfect fit- fantastic job! And congratulations on the podcast!! I've just recently become addicted to several podcasts... I haven't listened to About Time yet, but I certainly will be downloading it tonight so I can hear your interview! That's so awesome, Jennifer!! So glad to hear that you're feeling better- take care and have a great weekend! :-)

2/24/2006 11:08:00 PM  
Blogger weaselrina said...

Yes! I know someone who got a ticket for Jaywalking. Here in New York no less where people think "Don't Walk" is a suggestion.

We theorized he must have annoyed the officer something fierce.

Great Socks!

2/24/2006 11:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're feeling better, and those socks look GREAT.

2/25/2006 12:33:00 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Lincoln said...

Amazing socks!

2/25/2006 12:45:00 AM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Beautiful Jaywalkers. Your are so right about the interesting ways the yarn comes to life.

2/25/2006 07:21:00 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

They look great! And I loved your interview with Whit. It was wonderful. Very well done!

2/25/2006 08:10:00 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Love the Jaywalkers! They turned out very nice. I'm about halfway into the leg and I really like making them. Socks are so fun.

2/25/2006 09:58:00 AM  
Blogger jen said...

Cool, thanks for telling us about the podcast. And nice socks! I love them in sock garden ... hmmm ... not like I need to cast on for something else, but still ....

2/25/2006 11:52:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Lovely Jaywalkers. Hmm, maybe I should make Jaywalkers from my skeins of Pansy...

I've also been thinking about using leftover sock yarn for an ipod shuffle necklace/cozy!

2/25/2006 01:10:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Jennifer, glad you all are feeling better! Your jaywalkers are beautiful. I got some in that colorway after seeing yours in progress.

When I worked on Capitol Hill, there was a cop who would patrol the corner near the Capitol South metro station, just waiting to harangue rushed Hill staffers about their jaywalking. I don't think he ever wrote tickets, but he sure gave people a hard time.

It was fun hearing you on Whit's podcast. I really enjoy her show.

2/25/2006 03:42:00 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

I love the Jaywalkers. Personally, I like pooling. I don't know why people hate it so much.

I listened to the podcast on Friday and enjoyed hearing you read the poem. You have a very calm voice. I would have been terribly nervous.

2/26/2006 07:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just finished my pansy jaywalkers so was surprised to see them on your feet!! And my husband thinks they are so neat he wants them framed....guess I'll have to tell him too late, they have already been worn.

2/26/2006 01:07:00 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I used pansy for mine too, and they pooled in exactly the same way! Freaky! They are great!

2/28/2006 08:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->