Monday, February 27, 2006

Unbiased... the bag

I managed to finish up my Unbiased bag from Knitty.com yesterday. Over at Knit the Classics we were challenged to knit something that tied into the current book selection, Woman at the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy. Our project could tie into any character, theme, or tone of the novel. After reviewing the stash, I decided to work with several skeins of recycled sari silk yarn. Some of it I had received in swaps, and some was part of a gift I had received from another Knit the Classics member, Stephanie, as part of a Knit the Classics swap. As the book is about a woman who has a connection to a future utopia that included a very "earth friendly" ethic, I thought using recycled material would fit in. This future utopia also is a model of acceptance of the "other" and a place where prejudice and bias have no home, so I saw a connection with the name of the bag on Knitty.com that used recycled sari silk, "Unbiased." There are more connections with the book that I go into on my post over at Knit the Classics. Now the making of the bag was rather quick, but I've found recycled sari silk as not the easiest yarn to use. It sheds quite a bit. I'm finding bits of the stuff even upstairs even though I knit the bag in my downstairs living room. It's not that easy on the hands either. I developed a rather sore spot on my fingers of my right hand. There are some twigs and things I found in some of the skeins that I pulled out along the way. The finished product though is worth it. I like how the colors come together, and I like the scrappy look of the final bag. Since I used sari silk from two totally different sources, one half of the bag has more of a magenta hue, and the other half is more of a brick red, but I think that just adds to the overall look. After working with this yarn, I'm not sure that I'd make a garment or something that will be worn with it. It is perfect for a bag though! I also received a prize that I won over at Jess's blog for her one year blogiversary. She sent me some lovely sock yarn in her signature colors, and some cute magnets and notepapaer. I'm getting to be quite the sock yarn addict, so the prize is perfect! Thanks Jess! Next up for me is working on my Project Spectrum/Angelica KAL. I've started it last night and have already had to go up several needle sizes to get gauge. I also have plans to start my sockpal's socks. I was very pleased to see that the pattern I've chosen uses size 3 needles! Yay! No toothpicks for these socks!

20 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

You're right - that sari silk sure looks perfect for a bag, and what a great bag it is! Looking forward to pictures of your Project Spectrum project.

2/27/2006 07:22:00 AM  
Blogger amylovie said...

You bag looks beautiful. I agree with all of your statements about the sari yarn, but boy is it lovely knit up.

Amy

2/27/2006 07:52:00 AM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

The bag is beautiful!!

2/27/2006 08:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute bag! I have some recycled sari silk that I plan to make a handbag out of, too...I haven't worked with it at all yet, and I am a little apprehensive after hearning friends' stories of working with this type of yarn, but I do think it makes such a cute bag. Thanks for helping me confirm it's a good idea. I'll get to it, eventually! ;)

2/27/2006 08:22:00 AM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

That is a lovely bag and the colors do go well together. Thanks for the warning about the Sari Silk!

2/27/2006 08:38:00 AM  
Blogger littlelixie said...

I had the shedding and sore fingers from knitting the sari silk too. Your bag looks fab.

2/27/2006 09:18:00 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I bought the Mango Moon sari silk kit on a whim and after knitting about half of it I stalled out. I think that wearing it would feel like wearing a burlap bag! Heavy and stiff. But those are fine qualities for a bag - which my kit might have to turn into one of these days.

2/27/2006 09:24:00 AM  
Blogger Christie said...

That is a really cute bag. The finished results are were worth the finger pain!

2/27/2006 09:27:00 AM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

Great bag in beautiful colors. I love that it is recycled sari silk.

2/27/2006 10:34:00 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

i love the unbiased bag! the colors are great... did you say you found twigs in the yarn? i hate it when that happens ;(

2/27/2006 12:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny isn't it! There was a huge craze for Sari silk and I couldn't understand why people kept snapping it up for Scarves - so harsh and horrible to knit with. The Colours are the nicest part - I think your bag is the best use for it - looks great!

2/27/2006 01:53:00 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

I thought I'd left a comment earlier. Guess not, lol. Your bag looks great!

2/27/2006 02:33:00 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Your Sari silk bag is beautiful!! I love the rich colors of the silk. And what a lovely package from Jess! That yarn is gorgeous and the magnets and notepaper are so cute. Looking forward to seeing your Project Spectrum Angelica! BTW, I listened to About Time last night and heard your interview!! I was so excited; I turned to my DH and told him, "Hey! This is my blog friend on the podcast!" He just kind of gave me the uh-huh look, but I was so thrilled to hear you. You did such an awesome job and your voice is just what I imagined it to sound like from reading your posts and comments. :-) Take care, Jennifer! :-)

2/27/2006 05:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your Unbiased a lot! But I do agree the recycled sari is not an easy yarn for the fingers at all.

2/27/2006 07:36:00 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

I love that pattern, but I hate sari silk yarn. I love the colors and I love the recycling idea, but I also find it's too rough on the hands, so I've never used it.

2/28/2006 04:31:00 PM  
Blogger jen said...

I've always wanted to make that bag! How does it hold up? Do you feel the need to close it with extra stuff?? I want to make one now ... and I was doing Knit the Classics a while back, and I'm thinking of starting again ...

3/01/2006 06:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the bag! Love it. Love it! I've heard about the down side of recycled silk but I think you matched the yarn with a pattern that really compliments the nature of the yarn. Just don't wear it with anything black :-)

3/01/2006 07:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What pretty colors in your bag!

3/01/2006 09:36:00 AM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Yum! Lovely bag!

What is the yarn you're starting Project Spectrum with?

3/01/2006 07:28:00 PM  
Blogger teabird said...

The bag is beautiful! What would you recommend to substitute for the Sari Silk? Bulky? Chunky? I could almost imagine it in Homespun (also not the easiest to work with!)

3/02/2006 02:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->