Sunday, March 26, 2006

I have lost my fragile grip on reality

Remember when I said that after I finished my sockpal's socks that I would have nothing on the needles? I did get a couple comments and emails expressing shock and wonderment of what I was going to do about that problem. Well, the answer is, add to the problem and make plans for five projects all at once. Now, I'm a 2 maybe 3 project at one time knitter. Give me more, and I start getting twitchy. I begin to try to find ways to knit every spare moment because, well, all the projects need to feel a little love. When I don't get to a project, I feel a little uncomfortable like it's hanging over my head. I knew I was in trouble when I retrieved the three skeins of natural wool of the andes and started picking out Kool-Aid to dye it with. You see, my sockpal's socks were done, I was marking time between projects until something grabbed me but I needed to work with fiber. I decided to dye in my stew pot instead of the microwave as I had so much yarn to dye and I wanted it all to look like the same dye lot. Five packets of Strawberry and 5 packets of Grape later and I got this gorgeous yarn in shades of deep purple, lavender, magenta, red, and pink. I love it. It's the most successful Kool-Aid dyeing I've done to date. It's the reason I signed up for the Project Spectrum hand dyed sock yarn swap. Hey, I told you I lost my grip on reality! Anyway, back to my lovely dyed yarn. It needed a project. I know that I want to cast on another pair of socks (which I did immediately, I've been meaning to learn magic loop. Yes, I know the socks you see in the picture above don't have circs in them. They're DPNs. I've learned that one shouldn't learn a new skill when having a bad week). I want to make an lovely burnt orange Rogue for the April Project Spectrum. I have my yarn and needles all ready for the Mountain Stream Scarf. I have completed two of my four squares for the KTC Warm the World blanket and was halfway through the third. However, my Berry Fountain Soda yarn(as I've now started to call it) was crying out to be knit. I started a Clapotis. I've lost it people. I really have.

20 Comments:

Blogger yahaira said...

OH. MY. GOD.

do you want me to send in help?

the yarn looks lovely btw

3/26/2006 07:42:00 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

Knitter Gone Wild!!! but, totally understandible- they're all such great projects! Your Kool-Aid dyed yarn is some of the prettiest I've seen!

3/26/2006 08:26:00 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Wow, that yarn is beautiful!

3/26/2006 08:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a pretty color you came up with!

3/26/2006 08:33:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Stunning yarn! Way better than I've ever managed to get with KoolAid. Who could blame you for needing to start knitting it right away?! ;)

3/26/2006 09:46:00 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

*Karen passes the chocolate* It's ok. Really, it is. :)

That dye job is awesome!

3/26/2006 10:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, you needed something new to work on... it had to be done... and great colours on your yarn

3/26/2006 11:29:00 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

That yarn came out absolutely beautiful.

Of course you started a clapotis! I'm just amazed it took this long.

3/26/2006 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger The Scarlet Tree said...

pheww! Don't want the needles to feel neglected...keep them full!!
(I havn't knitted a clap, but someone told me that it is easier to use a purl stitch instead of a marker)

3/26/2006 01:18:00 PM  
Blogger Sharlene said...

I find it much easier to stay focused on a big project like a sweater. I seem to be going through the small projects right now too and as a result I seem to be unable to count the scarves and hats that I keep knitting up and packing away.

3/26/2006 05:45:00 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I absolutely love your koolaid yarn. I have been so wanting to try this.

3/26/2006 06:38:00 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Great job! You can never have too many things on the needles!

3/26/2006 07:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nah, you haven't lost it - you've found it ;o) Welcome to the world of ADD knitters *grin*

3/26/2006 07:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!! The yarn is *really* pretty! I love the colors and it will make a great Clapotis.

3/26/2006 08:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those colours are just too good to just sit there and wait for their turn. And everyone needs to have at least one Clapotis :D).

3/26/2006 10:12:00 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Holy crow, girl, I think we may need to send in the reinforcement troops! ;-) Just kidding. Your Kool-Aid dyed yarn is just gorgeous!! I love the depth and intensity of the colors. It reminds me of the STR Ruby Slippers colorway- so pretty!! Clapotis is going to be so beautiful in Berry Fountain Soda. I would've cast-on immediately, too! Can't wait to see all of your projects! Take care, Jennifer! :-)

3/26/2006 11:41:00 PM  
Blogger soapy said...

You do not have to many on the needles dont' worry, just a little here and a little there, you certianly shouldn't get bored....I ABSOLUTELY Love your dying technique girl! I'm teaching a class next month, you should come help! ;o)))) Great job!

3/27/2006 04:48:00 AM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

hey! you're going to make a one-of-a-kind Clapotis! I didn't think it was possible. The yarn is beautiful and the Clap will show it off nicely.

As for having a lot of projects on the needles, you may end up doing what I always do. Toss several aside and just work on one or two projects until they are done.

3/27/2006 06:16:00 AM  
Blogger Lisa P said...

One of us... One of us...

Resistance is futile. Clapotis is our name. Knit it we must.

3/27/2006 03:46:00 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

Yeah, I've got 3 going and am about to swatch for something "quick". Famous last words. That cool ade color is fantastic! Great job!

3/27/2006 05:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->