Thursday, March 23, 2006

Wild Sock Kingdom

My sockpal's socks are fini! I really like the look of them. Working with Fixation takes some getting used to, but I like the end result. I can imagine making more socks out of Fixation in the future. The only pause I have with the socks, is that one sock is much more stripey than the other one. The balls came from the same dyelot, but the finished product does look a lot different. I suppose this kind of difference is par for the course for variegated yarns. Right? Anyway, I hope my sockpal likes them. Project Stats: Pattern: Lacy Socks off the Cascade Website Yarn: Cascade Fixation in the Harlequin colorway Needles: size 4 aluminum DPNs Time to complete: I never know what to say here. Two or three weeks? Maybe more like two because these socks went super quick. What I learned: When working with a yarn with a lot of spandex, you can't pull to hard on it because the tension gets really screwed up. Also, do your best not to drop a stitch. A dropped stitch is really hard to catch. Again, spandex... Cascade Fixation is a great sub for someone who is allergic to wool socks, but the texture doesn't lend itself to some patterns. Work with needles that are smaller than you think. If you've never worked with Fixation, keep in mind you may have to knit the same first inch about 4 times before you get into the Fixation groove. I also received a package from KTC's Mystery Swap. Melanie aka Teabird sent me a fabulous package with two mysteries, a fun Nancy Drew Journal, and a fun pink small tote with a couple skeins of pink fun fur, pink Lionbrand Suede, and Hello Kitty Gear. I am so excited about the mysteries she sent me. One is actually about a beader that solves a crime, and the other is about a needleworker/detective. I love it! Thanks Melanie! And my last news of the day, I've added even more to my Bargain Bin There's some good stuff there! P.S. Some of you commented on my piano in the background of my Angelica pic. That's my piano from when I was a little girl. It's a beautiful Yamaha that my children will use when they take piano. Music is so important to be exposed to, I think.

17 Comments:

Blogger Lisa P said...

I love the socks! I think the striping pattern is pretty funky.

And of course all the Hello Kitty gear. (Can never have too much Hello Kitty gear!) My sock knitting bag is a Hello Kitty bag. :D

3/23/2006 01:48:00 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Nancy Drew & Hello Kitty?? Hello spoiled I think! :) You'll have to keep your daughter out of that swap package!

3/23/2006 02:51:00 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

The socks turned out great. Melanie is a great KTC book swap buddy.

3/23/2006 03:47:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Love how the socks turned out!

Oh, I see a Monica Ferris book in that picture. :) They're set in lovely Excelsior, Minnesota, just a bit west of here, ensuring that I will read all of them!

3/23/2006 04:08:00 PM  
Blogger Bonne Marie said...

BRAVA to you for finishing those Fixation/Vexation socks - they look fab!

I just cringed with sympathy at the thought of a dropped stitch with that yarn - YIKES!

3/23/2006 04:15:00 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Your Fixation socks are beautiful!! Your sock pal is going to be so thrilled! I love the fun and funky stripes, too. I'm going to bookmark this post so I can remember your Fixation tips for when I finally knit up the ball I have. What a wonderful swap package, too! Love the Nancy Drew journal and all the HK goodies. Maybe we did have the same piano!! Ours is an upright Yamaha, too. Do you still play? I only get to play when I visit my parents on the Big Island, but I do miss it. Take care, Jennifer! :-)

3/23/2006 06:41:00 PM  
Blogger soapy said...

Great Socks! Once you get use to the fixation , youll defiantely want more....

3/23/2006 07:22:00 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Great socks! I'm jealous yours are done!

3/24/2006 02:26:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Fixation tips. I've been itching to start some socks with Fixation lately, but I wasn't sure what to expect.

3/24/2006 01:06:00 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

Yay for finished socks! Thank you for all the specifics. My poor fixation had been completely abandoned but now I'm knitting socks with it thanks to your good example.

3/24/2006 04:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your socks look great!

I agree about music - my daughter now plays the flute that I played while I was in High School

3/24/2006 05:06:00 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Nice socks!

Nice haul! Those Monica Ferris mysteries are cute. Hello Kitty? Is this for you or for PQL?

Music is very important, I think too.

3/24/2006 05:47:00 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

I really like the socks. Pooling is pooling -- I like it and I'll always take it any way it comes. Fraternal socks are fun, I say. I'll have to check out the Fixation -- I have enough 220 to start a store, but we've never stocked fixation...hmmmm...Could I have gotten the word I in here a few more times? I'm not sure...

3/25/2006 09:46:00 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

wow! the socks and angelica look awesome! way to go jennifer! ;)

3/25/2006 06:45:00 PM  
Blogger alison said...

Zebra socks - how fun! Great job. :)

3/28/2006 06:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those socks came out great! I have just discovered fixation and it was perfect for baby hats and bootees since it is machine washable. I was a bit confused by the spandex too, especially how much yardage to buy (stretched or unstretched or in between??).

3/28/2006 08:33:00 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Are you really a "first time socker" like it appears on the Sockapaloooza site? If so, I'm impressed!

5/06/2006 07:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->