Friday, April 14, 2006

As long as there is a smoldering charcoal briquet...

on the BBQ of justice... Occasionally kid shows really crack me up. We saw a Fairly Oddparents today that was a play on the old Adam West Batman series. Some of the dialogue was priceless. I do feel a little like a super knitter with my new cape, erm, I mean, Clapotis! Here she is in all her glory! There's not a lot new to say about the knit other than I love it. The knitting of it was a bit boring, but the finished result is quite pretty. I felt similarly about the Ruffles scarf, actually. The one new thing about my Clapper, is that I used the yarn that I hand-dyed using Grape and Strawberry Kool-Aid. I'm wondering of the blue Kool-Aid and Grape would be just as nice... Project Stats: Pattern: Clapotis by Kate Gilbert Yarn: Knitpicks Wool of the Andes in Natural, 3 skeins, dyed with Grape and Strawberry Kool-Aid Needles: Size 8 straight Bryspuns. I love these needles. The tips make it so easy to purl and knit into the back loop nonesense. Modifications: I only knit 10 repeats in the straight section instead of 13 as I was running out of yarn. The finished product is plenty big. What I learned: 100% wool can be very sticky. It took a lot of prodding to get the stitches to run. Here's a close-up of the colors and stitch pattern. You can see the difference in color intensity. It doesn't really bother me, as I dyed the yarn myself. For some reason, I'm so happy with the dye job, that the color intensity doesn't bother me as much as it would have if I had bought the yarn already dyed. In other news, I received my yarn from the Project Spectrum Yarn Swap from Tara! Isn't it gorgeous! It reminds me of the beautiful coat of my tabby cat. Tara is very talented and is starting her own store. Check her out! I sent her yarn in the swap this month, and we couldn't have ended up with more different takes on orange and yellow. Mine resembled more of a tequila sunrise, and hers is very tiger-like. Too cool. I also received my postcard from the Project Spectrum Postcard swap. I love this swap as I've met such creative people. Last month was Teresa, and this month I've gotten to know Claudia. Claudia lives in Germany and sent me a great card/kit to make orange and yellow bunnies for my kids' Easter! Check 'em out! I had to make them right away. She seems equally pleased with what I sent her, origami kites. She's very into Japanese crafts. I'm really looking forward to continuing to read and email these two ladies and meet someone new next month! For those who celebrate, have a peaceful Easter.

18 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Your Clapotis is really beautiful and I love your dye job!

Have you seen the sun today and yesterday? Maybe we ARE in California!

4/14/2006 07:12:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Your Clapotis is fabulous! And extra specially cool since you dyed the yarn yourself.

Sounds like you had wonderful PS swap partners, too!

4/14/2006 08:16:00 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

Your Clapotis is so pretty - and that's probably the prettiest Kool-Aid dying I've seen.

I'm thinking more and more I need to make me a Clapotis... I'll probably be the last knitter to ever cast on for one at this point, but hey... it's growing on me, and yours may have just sold me!

4/14/2006 09:01:00 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Your Clapotis is GORGEOUS!! The Kool Aid dyeing you did is absolutely beautiful and it works so well with the pattern. It's Berry Beautiful, LOL!! (Sorry, with all the cartoon references, I just couldn't resist throwing in my Strawberry Shortcake bit- especially knowing that you named the yarn Berry Fountain Soda!) It really is a beauty. I love your PS swap yarn, too. It's so interesting to see all the different interpretations of this month's theme. Your origami postcard is so pretty, as well! Take care and have a wonderful Easter, Jennifer! :-)

4/14/2006 10:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Clapotis is awesome! I love the colors.

4/14/2006 11:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Clapotis is gorgeous. I have always intended to make one, but never have yet.

4/15/2006 02:59:00 AM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

Your entire post was so colorful it brightened my day.

4/15/2006 04:15:00 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Beautiful Clapotis, and the color is gorgeous. I like the yarn you received in the swap.

4/15/2006 04:20:00 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Your dyed yarns are beautiful! I am really going to have to try this. I have taking dyeing classes, but I have never done it on my own.

4/15/2006 05:30:00 AM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

beautiful and unique Clapotis.

I think it is a superhero cape: It's SuperKnitter! It's WonderPurler!

4/15/2006 09:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your clapotis cape is gorgeous. Love the colour variations and blends... I'd be wearing it everyday, cuz you know as soon as the rain finally stops, it's going to move right in to a hot summer...

4/15/2006 12:28:00 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

Love the Clapotis. Koolaid dying is so much fun and the color combinations are endless!

4/15/2006 02:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Your Clapotis is beautiful! I love the colors!

4/15/2006 09:57:00 PM  
Blogger teabird said...

Lynda, you're not the last knitter in the world to cast on for a Clapotis. I am... Beautiful, absolutely beautiful!

4/16/2006 10:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out The Tick sometime (if you haven't already) - it's hilarious. ;o)

Your Clappy is splenderific!!

4/16/2006 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

Happy Easter to you too. I hate that knit/purl from the back stuff. That's why I stayed away from Clapotis, but yours is lovely.

4/16/2006 05:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your Clapotis and I just love Clapotis in general and every time I see Clapotis I want to knit Clapotis so it looks like there will be a summer Clapotis for me ;-) Thanks for the inspiration!

~Ab

4/17/2006 01:29:00 PM  
Blogger Jillio said...

what a great dye job! clapotis is a bit boring, but when you get to dropping stitches, you find it goes a bit faster as you get to that row :)

4/17/2006 01:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->