Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Ever have one of those days...

Today was exhausting, and I can't even go to sleep. Usually, if one member of the family is having one of those days, the rest of us are doing ok. Today, we all were having one of those days. It wasn't pretty. The day started innocently enough. My son had a good morning at his speech preschool, PQL and I had a good time running some errands. But as the rain settled in once again (I'm so sick of the rain, people), so did all the good feelings. First, PQL got tuckered out from all the running around we did while SWB was at school. I think she's teething too, one of the canines. She cried all the way home. Now, those of you who have kids, or have been around little ones know that being in a car with an inconsoleable toddler is not fun. SWB kept trying to make her feel better, but everything he tried caused her to cry louder. To make matters worse, I managed to get behind every slow driver on the planet. A truck with a trailer even blocked a whole lane right in front of me. So we get home, have lunch, and I put PQL in bed for a nap. SWB decides he wants to rest too. This is good. I'm getting things done, my Clapotis for example. I look outside again, and realize it's raining pretty steadily now. SWB has his first ever swim lesson in the afternoon. Hmmm.... Everyone gets up. PQL is in a much better mood. We snack, change and head out to the swim lesson. It rains the entire way there. We get out to the pool, and SWB doesn't want to get in. This is an outdoor pool, well heated, but outdoors. I'm in jeans and a coat, at the edge of the pool, coaxing a now screaming SWB to just put his feet in the water. By the end of the class, he didn't venture any farther in the water, but he stopped crying. I, on the other hand, was wet and had a rapidly expanding headache. After the busy day, I had a meeting for SWB's regular preschool. I'm on the board. It was 3 hours long and now I can't sleep. Late meetings always amp me up. Tomorrow's bound to be a better day, right? At least I have a completed Clapper to where for Easter...

17 Comments:

Blogger Christie said...

I heard about the crazy rain up there. I hope everything clears up for you!

4/11/2006 11:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can identify with you regarding the kids situation. Take a deep breath, listen to some music. It might help.

4/12/2006 12:36:00 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

*ooof* That was ONE of those days. There's a funny story about me at my first swim lesson. Apparently I pulled the same routine as your little one, went home & my Dad asked me how it was. I looked up and lied blatantly, "Anna big swim." My life as a deceiver had begun. May the sun come to you!!

4/12/2006 04:50:00 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

oooh, toddler days - I remember them well. They alls seem to feed negative vibes off each other don't they!? Today will be better - it's sure to be!

4/12/2006 07:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eesh! Hang in there! I'm sure tomorrow will be better. :)

4/12/2006 07:51:00 AM  
Blogger SAM said...

I so understand the cranky toddler in the car. I just KNOW today will be a better day. Rain rain go away....

4/12/2006 08:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally sick of the rain too! I'm so sorry to hear about your rough day. I hope your week gets better!!

4/12/2006 08:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I hate days like that, I hope today is much better for you, and it stops raining.

4/12/2006 08:35:00 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Blogging is always good for when you can't sleep. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished Clappy.

4/12/2006 09:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the sun comes out for you soon :o(

4/12/2006 09:59:00 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Wow, that sounds awful! I can't believe they'd still have swimming lessons in rain outside? I hope it gets better!

4/12/2006 10:35:00 AM  
Blogger chris said...

Oh no!! I'm so sorry you had such an awful day. Today is sure to be a better day for all of you. Those scenarios sound so eerily familiar... I completely feel your pain! Trying to drive with an inconsolable toddler is the WORST. Especially in rush hour traffic or when you're behind slow drivers- talk about road rage! I've been reading about all the rain in CA and having just come off of our 40 day rain spree, I know how awful it is to drag kids around in the rain. I winced when I read about you getting soaked, trying to coax SWB into the pool. We had a similar situation where we all got drenched when Bossy decided that both he AND Stinky needed to be carried by me while we ran 1/2 a mile to our parked car. I couldn't convince him to walk so that I could hold an umbrella and keep all of us dry. At least I didn't have a 3 hour meeting to contend with after that- I feel so bad for you! I just know today will be a better day... hang in there and take care, Jennifer! :-)

4/12/2006 12:49:00 PM  
Blogger Jillio said...

oh, i found a site on ebay with a picture of the beaded temari balls i was telling you about:

picture

temari balls look like the round ball thingies (bottom right picture), and people usually attach those little bells. cute yah?

there's a store here locally that sells kits to make them, so i could get you a kit if you want to try it out.

sorry to hear about your rough day. :( every day is a new day, and i'm sure that for all the trials and tribulations, your kids are worth it. :) hang in there!

4/12/2006 01:55:00 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

I hope you had a better day. I can totally empathize with you.

Amy

4/12/2006 03:31:00 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Yuck! A three hour meeting? I really hate those

4/12/2006 04:33:00 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

I hope you're feeling better by now, in spite of the rain.

4/12/2006 04:37:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Glad everyone survived... But you have a completed Clapotis!! Yay!! Hang in there...

4/12/2006 08:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->