Monday, April 03, 2006

Who decides what gets to be on TV?

I really think they need some help. Firstly, enough already with the reality TV shows. I'm over it already. I don't necessarily have a problem with reality TV shows in theory, but there's a limit. Then you add the notion that much of what's on TV really isn't any good. (At least in my opinion.) Finally, someo really good shows get cancelled way before their time. Case in point, RM and I just finished watching Firefly on DVD. Now, that was an excellent TV show. The dialogue was good, the idea interesting, good acting, compelling story. Why cancel it after only one season? Some more evidence, Freaks and Geeks. I loved that show and again it was cancelled after just one season. La Femme Nikita (pre-Alias, Alias totally copied it) went several seasons, but then it gets cancelled unexpectedly, and the show ends with a completely ridiculous and unsatisfying ending. HBO's Carnivale suffers the same fate. I'm annoyed, deeply annoyed. Of course, RM and I really don't watch much network TV anymore. Most evenings find us on the couch watching something on DVD. You did all notice the DVD stash, right? I wanted to thank Kelly for sending me a lovely Karma Swap package. She sent me two balls of Knitpicks Palette in a lovely purple. I've never used or seen Palette before, so I'm very excited. She also sent along a couple of balls of Bernat Handicrafter Cotton destined to become some washcloths, and some cute stitch markers. Thanks Kelly! Felted SP is also coming to an end. I'm excited to discover who's been spoiling me with Noro and Malabrigo. Progress continues apace on the Berry soda Clapper, and my Peeps socks. I hope to have some progress pics soon. Until then, enjoy these pics of yellow flowers that came in an arrangement that my best friend sent me in remembrance of my grandmother. I really am developing a new appreciation of yellow and orange.

13 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Well, it seems obvious what the answer is to keeping good television on the air.

We just have to keep you and RM from ever discovering it! :)

4/03/2006 04:13:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, that Palette is pretty!

4/03/2006 04:52:00 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I watch the Discovery and National Geographic channels almost exclusively.

All the shows I get into go off the air.

4/03/2006 06:51:00 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

your right! never noticed that some of those shows were short lived! love the flower pic! i still can't appreciate orang...but yello is yummy! still sending hugs to you jennifer ;)

4/03/2006 06:58:00 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

It does suck when good shows get cancelled. I'm going to miss Carnivale.

4/03/2006 08:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do agree about the reality TV shows. I'd much rather watch a drama rather than a reality show.

4/03/2006 09:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, your post got me thinking. Quantum Leap! Remember that? I was so into that show and then it got cancelled. Worst part: I NEVER EVEN GOT TO SEE THE SEASON FINALE. To this day, I don't know what happened to Sam Beckett.

4/04/2006 08:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those flowers always seem so cherry. I had some planted in my garden, but alas it appers the bunnies keep eating the stems.

4/04/2006 09:09:00 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

He kept jumping, Becky.

A topic near and dear to my heart! There are a ton of shows that I like that have gotten cancelled. Completely agree on the the reality show stuff. It's cheap and it's our version of watching a hanging or feeding the lions, I suppose.

House tonight!

4/04/2006 10:02:00 AM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

Reading your post makes me even happier about not having a TV. I should branch out to warmer colors myself. I always gravitate toward greens and blues

4/04/2006 03:02:00 PM  
Blogger soapy said...

Ohhh What a pretty shade of purple.. I LOVE purples... Looking forward to seeing what becomes of it. I've never tried that yarn, please report....;o))

4/04/2006 09:14:00 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

i'm completely with you on the sad state of tv. i cannot *believe* they cancelled "arrested development." surely at least some people prefered it to shows about celebrities cooking, figure skating and worming dogs.

4/05/2006 09:38:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely hear you about the TV shows. Especially Carnivale! How can you end that show, just like that? NO!

4/05/2006 01:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->