Friday, March 31, 2006

Whipping out the WIPs

I'm taking the bull by the horns. I'm showing my yarn and knitting who's boss. I'm in control, not the stash. I'm a knitter, hear me roar. I'm not going to let the fiber win. I'm going to stick it to the man. *Hey, aren't I sounding a little like RM here? I guess I've got my own brand of crazy.* I'm serious. I've got a lot of yarn pointed at my head (literally, as I've been beaned by my own stash in my closet while trying to rummage around), and I'm asking myself if I feel lucky. Actually I do feel lucky! Like I mentioned in my last post, I joined up with the Stashalong, and am taking the Yarn Focus challenge which coincidentally is the reason I now have a ticker in my header. I also took up Elspeth's challenge to show all my WIPs today. Now, I don't have a lot, just four. I'm actively working on 3 of them. I'll show those first. First up, we have the infamous Clapotis that I'm knitting with the yarn I dyed last week. I'm loving this project. I have noticed one problem though. Even though I dyed all my yarn together, the skeins aren't quite the same intensity. this is noticeable as I've joined the second ball of yarn. I've decided to consider this a design element, and quirk as hey, I hand-dyed the yarn. In that same picture I have my socks. I meant to try to learn how to do magic loop, but I cast these socks on the day after my grandmother died. Emotional time + new technique = cursing and gnashing of teeth. I went back to the DPN's and threw in a simple ribbing from the pamphlet ribbing plain and fancy. I'm dubbing them my Easter Peep socks. Ok, next picture features my third active WIP. This is my fourth square for the KTC Warm the World afghan. These squares also count for my 40 days for others project. This particular square uses a basketweave pattern. I'm using Wool-ease. The other red and gray feather and fan thing... yeah, well that's a blanket I started 2 years ago, when I was first learning to knit. It's still on the needles. I got super bored with it, and shoved it in a corner. Plus the sheer amount of knitting I would have to do to finish it scared me as a beginning knitter. I have since traded away, given away, or used all of the Wool-ease that I bought to make it. All that's left of the materials for the project you see here. Why don't I just rip it out? Well, that would be a lot of effort. I'm thinking of just casting off and giving it to the cats.

9 Comments:

Blogger Agnes said...

Hi there, just come by to say hello since we are both taking part in the WIPs challenge and Yarn Focus Challenge. Actually you don't really have a lot of WIPs ... and I am sure you would be able to finish them! Knit On!

3/31/2006 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I love how your clapotis looks so far! I've made 2 and I would really make another one. Is the sock yarn from KnitPicks? It reminds me of Sweet Tarts!

3/31/2006 10:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have so many works in project, I just really need to focus, which is what I'm doing! Woo hoo, okay I'm really hyper today, must have been the ice cream I just ate.

3/31/2006 11:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Clapotis looks great! I think it's wonderful to consider the intensity difference as a design element. I'm sure you'll be done with it in no time!

3/31/2006 01:53:00 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Could you make the blanket into a shrug? Just cast off and sew up the sides? I've been thinking about doing that with a baby blanket I made.

3/31/2006 03:23:00 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

i think the clapotis is going to look fab! i love hand dyed yarn, and it feels really good to know that it's your own creation!!! great idea taking the bull by the horns and not letting fiber rule you! i wish was as brave :)

3/31/2006 06:53:00 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

You inspired me. I join the stash-a-long too! I love your ticker too. We can do it! I don't know if I am going to go 1, 2, or 3 months yet.

3/31/2006 07:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dog uses the completed portion of my first sweater as her cuddly...giving your half done knitting to your pets isn't exactly a bad thing ;o)

3/31/2006 08:15:00 PM  
Blogger Sharlene said...

I vote for casting off on the blanket. If you rip it, you'll have to add the yarn back to your stash!

4/01/2006 09:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->