Sunday, April 23, 2006

I was wrong... so wrong

About 6 months ago, I left a comment on Christie's blog. She was planning on knitting an all over cable sweater pattern, the name escapes me at the moment. I told her that I thought she was crazy. All those cables? No way. This was before I tried cables. The whole idea was very intimidating. A short half and year later and I'm crazy about cables. I'm in love with my Twist sweater, and this Rogue hoodie... It's a divine knit, that's all I'm sayin'. I think I've also become a yarn sniffer. Honestly I never understood the appeal of smelling yarn. This Jaeger Shetland Aran has a really pleasing wooly scent though. I've been pausing frequently to bury my nose in the ball and taking a big sniff. Lovely... I also decided to participate in the handwriting meme that's been going around blogville. Write a pangram on a piece of paper, sign your first name, take a photo of it, and load it onto your blog or upload into the flickr pool. Can you believe the atrocious handwriting? Do you pity my students a little? The only thing worse than the handwriting is my drawing skills. Peals of laughter would fill my classroom when I drew out a diagram of how the ancient world saw heaven, earth, and sheol (underworld/hell of the ancient Hebrews).

18 Comments:

Blogger amylovie said...

I am a yarn smeller too. My favorite scent so far is Rowan Summer Tweed. You MUST sniff it.

Amy

4/23/2006 11:31:00 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm glad you discovered cables. They're so fun and really not scary at all. Steeks. Now that's scary!

4/23/2006 11:37:00 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

That is so beautiful - isn't it amazingly addictive - that Rogue? - just to watch the cables form

4/23/2006 01:05:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Your handwriting doesn't look TOO bad... altho if it was on the blackboard... maybe so. :)

4/23/2006 04:19:00 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Cables are very fun! I am hooked on them! I also smell yarn. I have sweater that smells just tlike sheep when it gets wet and I love it!

4/23/2006 05:09:00 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

i love cables too! and yep, the first thing i do when i get new yarn is SNIFF IT!!!! :) I think silk smells terrible, but for some reason I can't stop sniffing it!

4/23/2006 05:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love cables, I've been wanting to knit cables but right now, I just don't have enough quiet time to work on cable patterns. I've been knitting mostly soothing stocking stitch lately.

4/23/2006 06:14:00 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

It's so much fun, isn't it? Ha ha ha...gotcha!

It's even better when you do it without a needle!

4/23/2006 07:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a batch of merino rovings that smells delicious.

4/23/2006 09:32:00 PM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

Did you know that there is aromatherapy yarn?! I'm surprised that Amylovie didn't mention it. Yarntopia even carries it. There are 3 different scents.

4/24/2006 04:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love cables! (And lace.) Easy and fun to do while giving texture.

4/24/2006 04:35:00 AM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

More cables please!

CABLES CABLES CABLES CABLES CABLES!

4/24/2006 06:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I sniff yarn too! Always have, don't know why. And cables - aren't they the most fun??

4/24/2006 07:47:00 AM  
Blogger soapy said...

Your Rogue has come along nicely! Great job with the cables! Lovely SP too! Great book and all those lovely yarns to go with it!!! Your so spoiled! ;o))

4/24/2006 03:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a total yarn smeller ;o)

Your Rogue is looking beautiful!

4/24/2006 04:01:00 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

i'm late to cables, too. they're totally addictive.

my handwriting is about the worst ever, but it helps as a reporter. if i ever get served a subpeona, they won't be able to read my notes anyway!

4/24/2006 08:36:00 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Oooh, I've been too scared to try cables yet!

4/26/2006 05:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a massive stench of Jaeger Shetland Aran in my ottoman! It has a stash of blue and purple jaeger Aran that was never released from Jannete's Rare Yarns, is your burnt orange Aran one of these non released yarns as well?

5/06/2006 10:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->