Tuesday, April 18, 2006

One Things Leads to Another

Do any of you remember the song by the FIXX, "One thing leads to another?" Well, I've decided, after dealing with home repair in two houses now, that nothing could be truer. On the whole, being in this newer house has been much less of a headache than our first house. We bought our first house six years ago. Since we didn't have a lot of money, we bought a fixer upper. This house had potential to be a nice little starter home, but it had no curb appeal, and had suffered from lots of deferred maintenance. In five years we relandscaped both the front and back yards, replaced fencing, replaced a front door, upgraded the electrical box, put in a new HVAC, among other things. Every thing we did to house would open another problem that needed to be fixed first. We learned that the basic fix cost about a thousand dollars, and the big stuff, significantly more. This leads me to the house we now live in. We love our home. We love our neighborhood. In the scheme of things that we had to do to our old house, this one has been a dream. But, since Christmas, we've had to do a lot of work on it. On Christmas the sink disposal blew. We also learned that our furnace needed service and the ductwork needed to be sealed. Last month, the water heater had to be replaced. Now a valve needs to be replaced under one of the sinks. How does one thing lead to another in this latest episode? Well, in the process of fixing the valve and a running toilet, I noticed that a small lead started where the toilet meets the floor in one of the bathrooms. Yep, I'm going to need to get that fixed too. The joys of home ownership. Now, what does any of this have to do with knitting or beading? Well, I was going to bead last night, especially since Jill, who is a bead temptress as well as a fiber one, sent me a wonderful package full of kits to make temari balls. The house stuff has so messed with my mind, that I just couldn't concentrate on the beadwork, and I ended up knitting for a couple of hours last night on Rogue. I love this pattern! Of course I don't have any WIP pics because I just couldn't get it together, but trust me, the Jaeger Shetland Aran is nice to work with, and the burnt orange color shows the cables well. You'll just have to take my word on it. Since I couldn't leave a totally pictureless post, here's a pic of the yarn I dyed for the Project Spectrum Yarn Swap. I used Wilton's Cake dyes and think it turned out pretty well. My swap pal, Tara seemed to like it.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your home improvement woes. It'll get better! I can't wait to see your Rogue-in-progess! And yes, of course I remember that Fixx song!

4/18/2006 08:40:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, bummer about the home repairs...

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of Rogue! And I really like the cheeriness of your sunshiney yarn.

4/18/2006 09:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with your home improvement!

4/18/2006 09:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohGod there's nothing worse than replacing a toilet seal. Ugh. ucky, ucky poo. Good luck with that...

Can't wait to see the Rogue photos!

4/18/2006 09:52:00 AM  
Blogger teabird said...

Ah yes, one thing leads to another... we know that one! My condolences.

I know this is being said by others, but - I used to hate orange, and now, I'm finding myself loving it! I went over to Tara's blog and stared at your gift yarn's loveliness...

4/18/2006 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger Jillio said...

wow, home repair. we'll be getting into the thick of it this summer when my parents start renovating our house. yikes!
i'm glad you like the beading stuff. :) hopefully things will settle down enough for you to concentrate. in the meantime, i can't wait to see your snazzy orange rogue! i have to get on the bandwagon soon for that one. i've got the pattern and yarn just sitting in my stash...*sigh* so much yarn, so little time...

4/18/2006 12:10:00 PM  
Blogger soapy said...

bummer about the home repairs YUK! but looking forward to your Rogue!

4/18/2006 03:51:00 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

Love those mango colors, they make me think of Spring. Don't you love it now that it's not raining anymore?

4/18/2006 03:55:00 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Rent doesn't sound so bad sometimes does it?

4/18/2006 06:09:00 PM  
Blogger Suzie said...

Love the yarn color, it looks lovely! Sorry about the home stuff, gads it really can add up...and fast!

4/19/2006 09:47:00 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

We know what you mean, since the kids' school eats up all our home repair money. I love the yarn!

4/19/2006 10:35:00 AM  
Blogger Lisa P said...

Oh don't even get me started about 'home improvement'. :P LOL!

4/19/2006 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger weaselrina said...

I just do NOT have home improvement motivation in me anywher,e i'm envious of people who feel confident in that arena.

The yarn is a great color!

4/19/2006 01:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->