Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Potato chip beading

When you can't make just one... The beadwork was feeling the love today as I worked up one of the temari ball kits that Jill sent me. The kit uses size 11/0 seed beads and swarovski bicone crystals. Jill sent me the stuff to make these into a cell phone charm, but I'm thinking about putting it on some cording and making myself a necklace out of it. Isn't it pretty? I'm already thinking about different color schemes, and using different beads shapes to change the look. Imagine the use of swarovski pearls... What would it look like if I used Czech firepolish beads instead... What about using cat's eye fiberoptic beads... You see where I'm going with this. She also sent me this awesome beading book. There are some truly interesting designs in it that I will be trying soon. I also think I've finally decided on the off loom bead weaving stitch I'm going to use to complement that orange and green boro bead I posted about a last week. I'm thinking of doing a tubular netting. I'm also really enjoying the Rogue knit. I thought I'd show you where I am right now. The body is going fairly quickly. I'm starting to understand the logic of the cable chart, and recognizing the chart symbols more readily. The Jaeger Shetland Aran is showing off the cables quite nicely I think, and it feels fairly soft. Speaking about Rogue, I took her to go get new tires on my husband's car. Due to a connection my husband's friend had, I ended up at a wheel place that mostly sells custom rims. I think tires are really an afterthought. Anyway, the guys working there were very nice, but the showroom looked a little like a cross between American Chopper and Pimp my Ride. They had this incredible large aquarium, with skulls and other stuff like that decorating the inside. They had two couches in the showroom. One was a leopard print chaise lounge. The other, the one I sat on, was red velveteen with two pillow, both featuring playing card suits. So I head into the showroom to wait for the tires and pull out my Rogue and my ipod shuffle. I'm knitting away in there, snickering to myself. I totally messed with this place's street cred. Oh, and for those of you wondering, all is well with the house. Things are fixed, and we're all set until the next crisis. :)

10 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Good to hear all is well! Rogue's looking good - and it's too bad you couldn't have someone take a picture of you at that tire/rim place! Hee hee.

4/19/2006 08:01:00 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

He he. I bet you stood out just a liiiiiitle bit at the tire shop.

Amy

4/19/2006 08:13:00 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

oooo..pretty shiny beads!

4/19/2006 08:18:00 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

Hey - I've knit it up in a tire shop too! Got grease on the sweater I was knitting, too ;(

Isn't Rogue a blast - it's looking great! Are you doing the kangaroo pocket? I loved that part - "hey, look, it works, a pocket!" (I easily amuse myself)

4/19/2006 09:19:00 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

That is a totally cute little bead confection you have there!

You didn't mess with their street cred, you kept them edgy.

4/19/2006 11:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your temari ball! Hmm...I may need to investigate on getting one of those nifty kits...And Rogue is looking great! You are really inspiring me to finally get off my butt and commit to knitting one for myself. I love the color you chose, too!

4/20/2006 07:59:00 AM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

rogue is looking good. It's such a great pattern.

Glad to hear that things are quieting down. You always seem to have crazy things going on.

4/20/2006 09:47:00 AM  
Blogger teabird said...

Lovely - and it would be utterly awesome with the Czech crystals -

4/20/2006 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger Jillio said...

oOoh, pretty! that came out really nice! i'm wondering if the lantern pattern is much different..?? i couldn't tell because i only glanced at it as i was packing everything up. but yeah, totally gets you going on wanting to make variations, doesn't it? i made several, just cuz i like the way they look lying around. some are just too pretty to make into cell phone charms; they look so perfect just glinting in the light with no other purpose than to be pretty.
the beading book is chock full of cute stuff! i like that the construction techniques are so simple yet elaborate; small substitutions easily make a world of difference. hope you find something in there to bust your stash!
and how funny are you!? knitting at a garage! then again, sometimes the contradiction of two concepts in the same place make the look work :)
that rogue is totally flying! i was going to use something else for that pattern, but now that i see how your shetland aran is working up into that pattern, i may just bust my stash! wow. get me: planning a stash bust! my thanks :)

4/20/2006 02:30:00 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

Glad to hear things are better with thw house. Knitting an aran in public changes the atmosphere anywhere.

4/20/2006 03:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->