Tuesday, April 25, 2006

What up, Home Skillets!

I read a short article in the latest Good Housekeeping that gave a run down of the current teen lingo. Apparently, the new word for friend, is "home skillet." Now, I'm not sure what this comes from. I do think it's kind of funny though. The other one that tickled the funny bone was "chillaxin", as in "Hey home skillet! What you doin?" "Just chillaxin' G" Heh heh. Yes, I'm easily amused. RM and I saw Walk the Line a couple of weekends ago, and I've had Johnny Cash music on the brain ever since. I grew up listening to a lot of different music. My mother loves Motown. I listened to a lot of the Temptations, The Four Tops, etc. My dad, on the other hand, really likes Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, bluegrass, you get the idea. Highly amusing to see a Chinese man who grew up in San Francisco like his old-time country. Anyway, Walk the Line brought back all of that music. I had a similar experience after seeing Oh Brother, Where Art Thou. So inspired by the Man in Black, I've written a song for you all. If you know the Johnny Cash song "Folsom Prison Blues" you can sing along. Frog Pond Blues I hear a swift a comin’; it’s spinning ‘round and round again, And I ain’t seen a knittin’ needle since I don’t know when. I’m stuck in the old frog pond and I keep unravelin’ on. See that swift keeps pulling out my stitches until I’m all gone. When I was just cast on stitches, my knitter told me, “Wool, Always be true to gauge, and don’t split cause that’s not cool.” But I sagged and broke and snarled just to see my knitter cry. When I hear that swift whirring, I just hang my head and sigh. I bet there’s DK weight merino on her needles now. She’s fondling sock yarn, and holding cotton to her cool brow, But I know I had it comin’, I know I can’t be that cute cardi, But she’s knitting up some novelty, and that’s what tortures me. Well, if I was freed from this frog pond, if those knitting needles were mine, I bet I’d knit myself into an heirloom aran in no time, Far, far from the frog pond, that’s where I’d like to stay, Before that swift rips all my stitches away. Hope you all enjoyed it! If Nautie had a face, he'd be smilin'

15 Comments:

Blogger Carrie K said...

Now I'm going to have that stuck in my head all day. Thanks, Home Skillet.

4/25/2006 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hee hee. Go chillax and get out of the frog pond! :)

4/25/2006 04:10:00 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

That is the most hilarious thing I've seen (hummed along to) in a long time!

4/25/2006 04:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny song... reminds me of my frogged baby cardi that I haven't worked on for a while. What will be the color of your Nautie's face?

4/25/2006 05:34:00 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

I love it! (And even more exciting for me...now, this is really sad...I was all proud that I've actually heard people use "chillax." Okay, so it was co-worker, making fun of her daughter's conversations with her.)

4/25/2006 05:45:00 PM  
Blogger teabird said...

Oh excellent, Home Skillet o'mine! (Now, to round up enough knitters who can sing. They could call the group "The Purly Gates" ...

Will you do "Ring of Fire" next? How about "A Boy Named Purl"?

Thanks for the laugh!

4/25/2006 07:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe...Hey Home Skillet! I wonder what you'd call someone you REALLY like. Raclette Grill? Fondue pot? Fondue...yum.

4/25/2006 11:29:00 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

I blame you for the spinning ramble I was singing to the tune of "These Boots Are Made For Walking".

4/27/2006 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Totally cool! I loved the movie too, for some of the same reasons, although I am a bit older than you, coming of age in the 1970s! My kids love country music, even though listening to hiphop, rock, etc. The nautilus turned out awesome, and you have inspired me to give it a try later this summer.

4/27/2006 12:52:00 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

I love Joaquin. MMM! Reese did a great job in that movie too. Aw, toys! I'm lovin' all the toys that have been going around blogger-ville!

4/27/2006 04:17:00 PM  
Blogger Sharlene said...

Home skillets? Okay, there's one I wouldn't have been able to translate! It's really beginning to sound like another language, which is frightening in that it makes me sound so old!

4/27/2006 04:21:00 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I like you Nautie! I don't know what it is about Johnny Cash songs, but they really do get stuck in the brain--don't they? I love Johnny Cash!

4/27/2006 05:00:00 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Excuse me--"I like YOUR Nautie!" My type-o in the above post sounds a little odd.

LOL!

4/27/2006 05:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your site!!! the song is great and "Nautie" is really cute, I'll have to knit my grandson one!

4/28/2006 03:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been lucky enough to be referred to as 'Home Skillet' by my daughter for quite some time ;o) Apparently she is on the cutting edge of slang ;o)

4/28/2006 07:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->