Sunday, April 30, 2006

The News

Sorry, I just couldn't think of a wittier post title. Right, the big news.... On Monday take a little trip over to The Anticraft. I have a little surprise that you'll find there! I'm very excited! Sure, it's not knitting, but it is my other passion, beading. If you have worked with beads, or want to, now you can with my little project! Let me know what you think! I have also finished Knitty's Nautie. I think she's a cutie. Her name is Julsey. I used some leftover Lamb's Pride in medieval red and medium gray. I picked out the simple white buttons for eyes. Overall, this was a pretty fast knit. I knit her in about a week. I think I misread a couple of the directions, specifically for how to do the spiral, but it works. Now, I'm on the hunt for more toy patterns as I bought a ginormous bag of polyfiberfill and need toys to stuff them with. I wish I had a copy of Jess Hutchinson's toy book. Project Specs: Pattern: Nautie by Beth Skwarecki Yarn: Lamb's Pride in medium gray and medieval red Needles: Size 4 DPNs, aluminum Susan Bates ones I think. Mods: I made some inadvertant ones, such as working the spiral slightly differently. I also picked up stitches around the shell to make the face instead of knitting them separately. I think I'll just change colors next time to make it even easier. I also only made 7 tentacles instead of 8. I couldn't figure out where to place an 8th one where it would look normal. What I learned: I like making toys. I'm already madly searching for my next toy pattern. Also, don't you think this pattern could be modified to make a snail? I'm thinking yes... Julsey says, "Yo."

14 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Julsey is adorable! Can't wait to see what's at Anticraft.

Oh, and I have a few toy pattern books....let me know if you'd like to borrow them.

4/30/2006 06:37:00 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

This is definately on my TO KNIT list!

Gee? The surprise must have something to do with Anticraft!! I can't wait!

4/30/2006 06:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute!

4/30/2006 08:00:00 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Congrats on your surprise! I will definately check it out.

Jess' book is good & I also like The World of Knitted Toys by Kath Dalmeney. That one has so many great patterns.

4/30/2006 08:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super cutie and just so you know my husband caught sight of your blog while I was reading it and he commented on...oh boy...there is no way to say this without it sounding silly...my husband likes your Nautie :-)

4/30/2006 10:15:00 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

Julsey is too cute!!

4/30/2006 10:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a riot! Aren't toys fun? A favorite book of mine is Kath Dalmeney's World of Knitted Toys.

5/01/2006 12:05:00 AM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

Having recently seen a chambered nautilus in the flesh (or would it be in the shell?), I can say yours is a very good representation. Is there a whole series of sea life patterns? I know some kids (and a few adults) that would really enjoy having something like that.

5/01/2006 05:47:00 AM  
Blogger soapy said...

ahhh soo cute!

5/01/2006 01:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SOOOO cute!! I haven't knit any toys yet, but I'm being inspired here... :)

5/01/2006 01:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! I just have to make one of those, I think it's time to go stash diving.

5/01/2006 02:40:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

That's a great Nautie!

5/02/2006 04:07:00 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

i was wondering if someone was going to make that! i think it is super neat!

5/02/2006 05:28:00 PM  
Blogger Julsey said...

Did you name your nautie after me? hehe!

10/19/2006 12:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->